(PRWEB) December 06, 2011
With many parts of the country waking up to frosty cars this morning, RAC is reminding drivers to ensure they are prepared for winter just in case we experience similar driving conditions to the last two winters which were extremely hazardous as well as challenging.
On Monday, 29 November 2010 RAC fitted 1200 new batteries – equivalent to one every 72 seconds and during the period 25 November – 24 December 2010, RAC attended over 50,000 drivers with battery-related problems.
Kevin Andrews, RAC Patrol Ambassador of the Year says, “The last two winters were a real eye opener for many drivers as to just how important it is to prep their car for winter, given the extreme conditions most of us faced on the roads.
“Motorists must learn from this and take the opportunity to get prepared and protected now. Ensure your vehicle is winter battle ready before the bad weather hits.”
RAC top five battery care tips:
1. Switch off lights, wipers, radio and the heater before starting the engine. This prevents any unnecessary drain on the battery during starting
2. Heaters, heated screens and heated seats put high demands on the vehicle’s battery so try and avoid using these types of devices any longer than necessary. High use of sat navs, in-car DVD players and iPods can also drain the battery
3. Don’t leave any interior lights or any accessories such as phone chargers on overnight
4. Park your vehicle in a garage whenever possible
5. Have your vehicle checked before winter sets in - many garages offer free winter checks, which include charging and battery checks
Kevin continues: “Before you start the car in the morning, make sure everything is switched off - including the heater, fan, lights and radio. Turn the ignition key to the ‘on’ position for two or three seconds to allow the electronics to get going before starting the engine. These actions will save valuable energy - every volt is precious in cold weather.”
RAC has a new Battery Response service - for both members and non-members. We can use our expertise and the latest technology to check if your battery is the cause of your fault and we’ll only fit a battery if you need one - visit http://www.racshop.co.uk/car-battery.html for full details.