Bloomington, IND (PRWEB) December 12, 2011
Author Solutions, Inc. (ASI), the world leader in indie book publishing, wants aspiring writers to commit to making “publish a book” their New Year’s resolution for 2012. To help make this possible, ASI has prepared the “Five Steps to Becoming a Published Author in 2012” to encourage authors to take the first steps toward building a personal legacy and becoming published.
The “Five Steps to Becoming a Published Author in 2012” provides the foundation to accomplish a common dream among writers. “Coming up with an idea for a book is easy, and so is sitting down and starting to write, but it’s the follow-through that’s difficult,” said Keith Ogorek, author of the “Five Steps” and the senior vice president of marketing at Author Solutions. To increase an author’s chances of successfully achieving his or her publishing goals, he recommends these five steps:
1. Picture when you would like to hold a copy of your book – You could simply choose one year from now, or a date that’s important to you, like your child’s graduation or your birthday. Pick a date you’ll remember, and use that motivation to achieve your goal. Think of how great it will be to hand that first copy to your best friend or spouse.
2. Pick a time for you to write, and make it your routine – Determine the best time for you to write and schedule it in your daily calendar. Early in his career, famed novelist Elmore Leonard would write early in the morning each day before work. Choose a time of day you know you can stick to—before long, it will become routine.
3. Create a support system to help you stay on track – Accountability is key. Find someone to provide encouragement as you write. It’s easier to keep on pace if you know someone else is depending on you. This person could be a friend, a relative or maybe a member of a local or online writers’ group.
4. Select the best publishing option for you – The search for the perfect publisher doesn’t have to wait until your manuscript is complete. There are many options available, but it’s important to determine which option makes the most sense for you. Assisted self-publishing, DIY and traditional publishing routes are all good options, and eBook-only options are great too, but each option has its own distinct advantages. Just remember that most book reviewers still require a print copy.
5. Celebrate your achievement! Plan your book party – Your book’s complete! Now it’s time to show the world. Throw a book-launch party, and schedule signings at bookstores—anything to get your book out there. Thanks to the Internet, there’s never been a better time to be an author. Creating a marketing platform is essential and can be as simple as starting a blog and positioning yourself as an expert in your chosen field or interest area. Fiction or nonfiction, this approach will lend credibility to your work. For more information on book marketing concepts, including directions for creating an online platform, check out the Author Learning Center.
“There’s never been a better time to be an author, so why not make it your New Year’s resolution to finally publish that book you’ve been thinking about,” said Ogorek. “Whether it’s the great American novel, a touching memoir or a captivating piece of nonfiction, we all have a message we’d like to share, and there’s no better way to leave a lasting legacy than to get published.”
For more information about the “Five Steps to Becoming a Published Author in 2012,” or to speak with Keith Ogorek, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information about ASI, ASI’s partner brands or for information about self-publishing, visit http://www.authorsolutions.com.
About Author Solutions, Inc.:
Author Solutions, Inc. (ASI) is owned by Bertram Capital and is the world leader in indie book publishing. ASI’s leading self-publishing imprints—AuthorHouse, AuthorHouse UK, iUniverse, Palibrio, Trafford Publishing and Xlibris—have helped more than 90,000 authors self-publish, promote and bring to market more than 140,000 new titles. Through strategic alliances with leading trade publishers, ASI is making it possible to develop new literary talent efficiently and provide authors with a platform for bringing their books to market. Headquartered in Bloomington, Indiana, ASI’s global reach includes imprints developed specifically for authors in Australia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit http://www.authorsolutions.com, and follow @authorsolutions on Twitter for the latest news.