Budding Traders are Hailing From a Greater Variety of University Backgrounds, According to Schneider Trading Associates

Share Article

Whilst economics and mathematics are subjects in which traders traditionally graduate, according to Schneider Trading Associates (STA), which provides a no-charge training course for those wishing to start a City career, a greater number of applicants now come to the firm with undergraduate degrees from a wide variety of disciplines.

Schneider’s Professional Training Programme is designed to be the first step towards a trading career for anybody; for people who have worked in a different industry their whole life as well as university leavers wanting a graduate training course.

Whilst economics and mathematics are subjects in which traders traditionally graduate, according to Schneider Trading Associates (STA), which provides a no-charge training course for those wishing to start a City career, a greater number of applicants now come to the firm with undergraduate degrees from a wide variety of disciplines.

Between January and June 2011, just 44 per cent of candidates who held a degree and were accepted on to STA’s Professional Trader Programme (PTP) had studied economics, mathematics or finance. The remaining 56 per cent of graduates had come from diverse university courses including psychology, law and engineering. Schneider’s four-week course, however, does not require applicants to have any particular level of qualification so the trading and broking house is also training traders from a range of career backgrounds, such as construction and the armed forces.

Schneider’s head of training, Matt Silvester, says: “From the hundreds of CVs we review each week, there is certainly a wider variety of degree subjects turning up than there was a few years ago but we consider each person on their own merit, enthusiasm and aptitude. The depressed job market could be one reason why we are receiving an increased number of applications from people without financial career backgrounds or first degrees. However, we regard this as our industry’s gain as we’re looking for the very best - it doesn’t matter if they studied law, maths or even have a degree as we’re training everyone from the first rung of the ladder.”

Matt doesn’t believe there is a direct correlation between a trainee’s success on the course and the area they have studied or worked in previously. He explains: “What we find interesting is that there are no hard and fast rules on who will successfully make it through the assessments during the four-weeks. The first class honours maths graduate has failed in the first week whilst the builder with no degree has gone through to our three year self-employed mentorship scheme and trades very profitably.

“Schneider’s Professional Training Programme is designed to be the first step towards a trading career for anybody; for people who have worked in a different industry their whole life as well as university leavers wanting a graduate training course, so it doesn’t matter what subjects or job roles they are familiar with.”

For more information on Schneider’s PTP and self-employed trading jobs, visit http://www.schneidertrading.com and give your views through Facebook and Twitter - /schneidertrading and @schneidertrader.

###

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Keredy Andrews
Visit website