As a group, this year’s HealthLeaders 20 promise to change the practice and structure of healthcare. They will not only reform healthcare, they will turn it upside down,” says Edward Prewitt, editorial director for HealthLeaders Media.
Nashville, TN (PRWEB) December 19, 2011
In its annual cover story, The 20 People Who Make Healthcare Better, HealthLeaders Media profiles individuals who are working to transform the healthcare system—the inventors, innovators, and iconoclasts see the future and strive to get us there. Determination and a willingness to take a chance are among the qualities seen in the HealthLeaders 20 as they set about dedicating their professional lives to making a difference for good in healthcare. Their stories can be found at http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/20people/.
“As a group, this year’s HealthLeaders 20 promise to change the practice and structure of healthcare. They will not only reform healthcare, they will turn it upside down,” says Edward Prewitt, editorial director for HealthLeaders Media. “Reading the personal stories of the HealthLeaders 20 is inspiring but also instructive—how Wright Lassiter and his staff pull together to turn around a money-losing inner-city hospital; how Patrick Quinlan attacks the roots of ill health; how Min-Shen Chin cares for his wife, stricken with Parkinson’s; and why Jeanne Yeatman encourages emotional connections with critically ill patients in possibly their last minutes of life. Finding 20 honorees each year is easy; settling on only 20 is not.”
Along with the HealthLeaders 20, the December issue of HealthLeaders magazine includes key strategies for healthcare executives, including:
- The Accountable Physician—Getting physicians to participate—even lead—accountable care organization efforts may be easier than you think.
- Stress and Focus in Transitional Times—In our 2011 Industry Survey, 32% of leaders said they are very satisfied in their job, which is down from 42% in 2009 and 38% in 2010. While the overall satisfaction rate (combining satisfied and very satisfied) remains greater than 80% (it was 81% in 2011, 86% in 2010, and 87% in 2009), what do you think accounts for this lessening in intensity of satisfaction, and do you expect that to continue?
- Talent Strategy—Shifting reimbursements are driving leaders to search for labor productivity for physicians and extenders, and to shift responsibilities toward higher value.
- Meaningful Use Challenges Detailed—Providers who have successfully achieved stage 1 meaningful use can attest that the effort is challenging, and they offer some lessons learned.
- Flat Patient Volume Adds to Fiscal Concerns for 2012—CFO Exchange participants cite concerns about reimbursement declines, but also expect positive outcomes from consolidation and commercial payer collaboration.
- The Picture of (Population) Health—Treating a group rather than an individual requires patience and significant up-front investment.
- Getting Imaging into Focus—Health systems are adding freestanding imaging centers to improve coverage and evaluating their radiology programs because of quality concerns.
- Making Connections—Christopher Searles, MD, has many titles. As a family practitioner and psychiatrist, he codirects a residency program for University of California, San Diego, medical residents that operates out of a large homeless shelter and clinic.
All of HealthLeaders magazine’s December articles may be found online at http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/magazine.cfm.
HealthLeaders Media, a division of HCPro, is a leading multi-platform media company dedicated to meeting the business information needs of healthcare executives and professionals. As an integrated media company, HealthLeaders Media includes HealthLeaders magazine, HealthLeadersMedia.com, the HealthLeaders Media Intelligence Unit, HealthLeaders Media Rounds events, HealthLeaders Media Breakthroughs reports, and California HealthFax. All these platforms may be found online at http://www.healthleadersmedia.com.
The HealthLeaders Media Intelligence Unit is the premier source for executive healthcare business research and is powered by the HealthLeaders Media Council, made up of select members of the HealthLeaders Media audience of more than 240,000 healthcare executives. HealthLeaders magazine, named 2010 Magazine of the Year by the American Society of Healthcare Publication Editors, is the premiere resource for information on management trends, innovations, market strategies, and organizational development for more than 40,000 healthcare executives and senior decision-makers every month. Award-winning HealthLeadersMedia.com is the healthcare industry’s destination of choice for online news and analysis.
HealthLeaders Media is the winner of 16 awards in 2011 from the American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE) and the American Society of Healthcare Publication Editors (ASHPE) including:
- 2 Gold Awards for Breakthroughs (Best Digital Magazine)
- Best Original Research: HealthLeaders Media Industry Survey
- Best Feature Series: HealthLeaders Service Lines
# # #