Only a select number of projects become LEED certified, but it is becoming increasingly important as Safelite® focuses on green initiatives.
Atlanta, GA (Vocus/PRWEB) March 02, 2011
The Safelite AutoGlass® distribution center in Braselton, Ga., officially received “Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design” (LEED) certification recently, as sanctioned by the Green Building Certification Institute.
Safelite AutoGlass®, the nation’s leading provider of vehicle glass repair and replacement services, opened the distribution center in August 2010 to improve its supply chain. It is the only LEED-certified glass distribution center in the United States and the first LEED-certified building for Safelite. Duke Realty, owner of the property, assisted with the certification process.
Many eco-friendly efforts were employed during the construction of the Braselton facility and were also used in the Ontario, Calif. distribution center that opened in 2009. The construction of the Ontario building in 2009 led the way with energy efficient lighting and the reduction of water consumption; these initiatives were taken one step further with the Braselton distribution center These green efforts include:
- Reduced storm water pollution by vehicle fluid leaks and mechanical equipment wastes
- Increased water efficiency reducing consumption by 44 percent and reduced burden on municipal water supply
- Utilizing Energy Star qualified equipment for more than 90 percent of all appliances, office equipment and electronics
- Banned use of any CFC-based refrigerants in heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems to reduce stratospheric ozone depletion
- Energy conservation with occupancy sensors on more than 75 percent of lighting
- Procured wood products and furnishings certified in accordance with the forest stewardship council
“Being LEED certified by GBCI has been an opportunity for a third party to solidify our commitment to environmental stewardship,” said Rich Glover, assistant vice president, manufacturing and distribution operations. “Only a select number of projects become LEED certified, but it is becoming more important as our company focuses on green initiatives.”
About Safelite AutoGlass®
Safelite AutoGlass, founded in 1947, is the nation’s leading provider of vehicle glass repair and replacement services, providing mobile service to more than 95 percent of the U.S. population in all 50 states. The Columbus, Ohio-based company employs nearly 10,000 people across the United States and serves more than 4.5 million customers each year through its company-owned operations. For more information, visit http://www.safelite.com.