Can’t Remember Your Reusable Bags? Enlist the Kids to Help!
Mendham, NJ (PRWEB) April 06, 2011
Virescent, an eco-friendly fundraising company, celebrates Earth Day (April 22nd) by reminding parents of the importance of using reusable bags in lieu of environmentally destructive plastic shopping bags that have been littering our oceans and landfills for years. It's also important to reinforce children's environmental education in the classroom through real life activities that encourage their passion for a greener world. Chances are that your children come along with you on shopping excursions, so enlist them to help you remember your reusable bags. As Earth Day quickly approaches, Virescent provides the following tips to keep kids excited and involved not just for Earth Day, but for years to come.
1. Answer the question: How many plastic bags did your family avoid using this year? Ask the older children to keep a running tab of how many plastic bags you save each time you shop with reusable bags. For example, one Virescent Shopper can hold the equivalent of two plastic bags of groceries.
2. Create a financial incentive: Many grocery stores now give you $.05 for every reusable bag that you use when shopping. Let the kids keep a running tally of how much money you save (it should be on the receipt) and maybe give it to them or your favorite family charity after it accumulates.
3. Choose the right size and color: Let them choose a favorite reusable bag that is the perfect size for them—(Virescent’s mini and even a sport sack are great for the younger ones). And of course choose a cool one for yourself so you want to take it everywhere!
Some other tips to keep in mind:
- Keep the bags on a hook near the front door.
- Purchase a bag that is small enough to hook to your keychain or keep in your purse.
- Keep a set of bags in the trunk of your car. Once you unpack your items, put the bags by the door so you will remember to bring them back out to your trunk.
- Put a big sign on the inside of the front door (or on a bulletin board near the door) as a reminder, "Remember Your Bags!"
- Write “REUSABLE BAGS” on your shopping list. You may not notice it before you get into the store, but you'll probably catch it before you make it all the way to the checkout. Resign yourself to running back to the car!
For more information about Virescent’s full line of customizable, eco-friendly reusable bags, please visit http://www.virescentshopper.com.
Virescent is an eco-friendly fundraising company whose products blend style, sustainability and social responsibility in the fundraising marketplace. Virescent’s “frazzle-free” fundraising solution is designed with today’s busy moms in mind, and combines stylishly designed, eco-friendly reusable bags, convenient online shopping, and a unique set of sales and promotional tools essential to running a successful campaign. And notably, all of Virescent’s reusable bags are made here in the U.S.—grown, woven and sewn—and are constructed from organic and recycled cotton.
# # #