1 in 4 iPhone and Android Users Plan to Buy a Car in Next Year and 78% Will Use a Mobile Device in the Search and Purchase Process, According to New Study by Greystripe

Share Article

Over a quarter of iPhone, iPod Touch and Android users plan to buy a car in the next year – and 78 percent will use their mobile device to facilitate the process, according to a study sponsored by Greystripe, the largest brand-focused mobile ad network. Greystripe collected the data from users on its expansive network of touch devices during a three-month period from November 16, 2010 through February 15, 2011.

Over a quarter of iPhone, iPod Touch and Android users plan to buy a car in the next year – and 78 percent will use their mobile device to facilitate the process, according to a study sponsored by Greystripe, the largest brand-focused mobile ad network. Greystripe collected the data from users on its expansive network of touch devices during a three-month period from November 16, 2010 through February 15, 2011.

Greystripe also measured consumer sentiment around types of cars that are being considered for purchase. According to the survey, 15.6 percent of users are looking to buy a new car in the next year and an additional 10.4 percent of users are looking to buy a used car in the next year, for a total of 26 percent of users in the market for a car in the next 12 months.

The auto industry understands that touch device users are a strategically valuable consumer base. For example, GM is adding 14 new car models, including Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac, that link to OnStar’s mobile app, allowing users to download car data to their smartphones. And Hyundai’s latest luxury sedan comes with an interactive iPad instruction manual. The auto industry is continually upping how much it spends advertising on mobile. In Greystripe’s network alone, spend from auto brands increased by 113 percent from the first quarter of 2010 to the first quarter of 2011.

The auto industry is also using touch smartphones and tablets as a medium to reach new potential customers, given the attractiveness of the user base.

Specifically, U.S. iPhone and Android users are three times more likely to buy a new car than the U.S. adult population (15.6 percent in Greystripe’s network versus 5.5 percent, according to MarketingForecast.com). As a result, car brands have led the crusade of companies looking to rich media mobile advertising on touch devices, and with good reason: mobile plays a critical part of the auto buying process for the majority of touch-device users. iPhone and Android users said they would use their phones for initial research, price comparison on the lot, finding dealerships and contacting sellers, according to the study.

“Touch device users are a tech savvy consumer segment with plenty of income to purchase vehicles. Auto brands are aware of the attractiveness of this audience and have been one of the most aggressive industries when it comes to rich media mobile advertising that harnesses the power of touch,” adds Dane Holewinski, director of marketing at Greystripe. “Touch-based, rich media ad campaigns and custom mobile mobile apps will be the biggest trend in automobile marketing for 2011 and 2012.”

About the Survey
This data is based on data Greystripe gathered from users on iPhone, iPod Touch and Android devices on its network from November 16, 2010 through February 15, 2011. 851 people were surveyed.

About Greystripe:
Greystripe is the largest brand-focused mobile advertising network in the US by reach. Greystripe delivers the highest engagement and most sophisticated targeting for brand marketers, the maximum revenue for publishers and app developers, and the best ad experience for users. Greystripe’s proprietary advertising platform serves billions of rich media impressions to over 30 million users of touch-driven devices through more than 3,500 application titles and mobile websites across all major mobile platforms.

For more information, please visit: http://www.greystripe.com

###

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Alice Joy
VSCPR for Greystripe
415.677.9125
Email >