(Vocus/PRWEB) April 15, 2011
The rarest birthday girl in the region turns six this year, and Newport Aquarium is throwing a party to celebrate.
Sweet Pea, the Newport Aquarium’s popular female Shark Ray and the first ever on display in this hemisphere, will usher in a new year in her life with a two-weekend celebration, complete with special events, an underwater birthday cake and special Saturday feedings.
Always in the mood for a party are Newport Aquarium’s original party animals - the penguins! And if you haven’t seen the new Penguin Palooza exhibit, now is a great time. With a new habitat for the birds, new species, new seating area and a fun new live show, Penguin Palooza is a treat for the whole family and another reason to visit during Sweet Pea’s Birthday Celebration.
There’s a whole host of activities planned around the special occasion:
- Warm up the vocal chords and sing “Happy Birthday” to Sweet Pea during special dive shows in the theater and help her blow out the candles on her giant underwater birthday cake.
Saturdays: 11*, 11:20, 11:40 a.m., 1 and 1:20 p.m.
Sundays: noon, 12:20, 12:40, 2, 2:20 and 2:40 p.m.
Thursday: 11, 11:20, 11:40 a.m.
Friday: 11, 11:20, 11:40 a.m., 1, 1:20 and 1:40 p.m.
*Special Saturday Shark Ray feeds
- You can also watch Sweet Pea and Scooter (the Aquarium’s male Shark Ray) get hand fed and trained by divers in the Surrounded by Sharks exhibit from Monday through Friday at 2:30 p.m. PLUS don't miss a special Shark Ray feeding on both Saturdays at 11 a.m. in the theater during the birthday celebration!
- Throughout the celebration, don’t forget to sign the giant birthday card for Sweet Pea in the “Shark Top” area, up the escalator from Penguin Palooza.
- Flex your creative muscles by making a craft from noon to 3 p.m. on April 24 and May 1, while supplies last.
- Plus, there will be intermittent screenings of the 15-minute documentary about Newport Aquarium’s landmark Shark Ray breeding program, featuring Sweet Pea.
- The Road Crew from Radio Disney will rock out from 2-4 p.m. on April 23 and April 30 in the Aquarium Theater, featuring music, games and great prizes.
For more information on Newport Aquarium or for hours, tickets and directions, visit http://www.newportaquarium.com.
Newport Aquarium showcases thousands of animals from around the world in a million gallons of water. You’ll be amazed at all there is to see and do, including fun and interactive activities, like touching a shark or meeting penguins. Like its sister aquarium, Adventure Aquarium, on the Camden Waterfront, Camden, NJ, Newport Aquarium is a Herschend Family Entertainment company (http://www.hfecorp.com) and an accredited member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA), a leader in global wildlife conservation. Newport Aquarium is open to the public 365 days a year and is located only two minutes from downtown Cincinnati at Newport on the Levee.
For more information, visit http://www.newportaquarium.com or call 859-261-7444.
# # #