We were able to develop the registration system in two weeks, compared to the months I would have spent writing and debugging code in other languages.
Austin, TX (PRWEB) April 26, 2011
Real Software, creator of cross-platform software development tools, today announced that the Oklahoma University School of Music developed an application with Real Studio’s Web Edition to streamline the enrollment process for faculty and students. In the three months it has been online, the application has been used by more than 200 students and 300 people to submit materials, complete essays and resumes, arrange audition dates and submit recommendations.
With the new application, the School of Music has eliminated the need to manage the overwhelming process of duplicating and distributing applications and related materials, while saving significant time and money. Additionally, because of clear status updates and reminder emails, students are not missing deadlines and faculty are fully prepared for auditions. Faculty can also now use their computers or smartphones to work remotely and view the latest information on a prospective student.
For years, the University of Oklahoma School of Music had used a paper-based application process. As the materials arrived at the School of Music, a file would be created for each applicant and duplicated and distributed to the faculty for admission consideration.
Keeping track of who received what materials and when was a time-consuming and labor-intensive process. A review of the admission process identified several areas needing greater control and oversight to ensure that deadlines were met, critical information was received and potential students had the best possible experience with the University of Oklahoma and the School of Music.
The Real Solution
Faced with a two-month deadline for the online admission application, Glen wanted to quickly produce a reliable, cross-platform web application that looked and functioned properly across multiple operating systems. As the application was being developed, he also needed to demonstrate it to faculty to elicit input and quickly incorporate changes.
Glen used Real Studio in the past for his own hobby work and knew how quickly he could bring ideas to implementation with it. Discovering the beta version of Real Software’s new Web Edition, Glen decided to give it a try and determined it was the best choice because of the following features:
- Cross-platform: Real Studio supports Windows, Mac and Linux with almost no extra effort. Unlike other cross-platform development tools, Real Studio creates a proper user interface for each platform using native controls for each platform. Real Studio helps programmers create the best user interface with automatic guidelines for spacing controls, default control sizes, even special menu items that can automatically move to different locations based on the operating system.
- Integration: Real Studio integrates with many web technologies and popular databases, including Postgres, MySQL, Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server (Windows only) and ODBC.
- Rapid application development: Real Studio is a rapid application development environment that gives programmers the power to write, test and ship software four times faster than C++ or Java.
- Interface toolset: Real Studio allows for implementation of dynamic, on-the-fly menus and interface elements, which can change based on database queries, image formats, and conditional checks.
- Security: Real Studio compiles code into secure machine code that eliminates the security concern inherent with Java’s byte code.
Supporting Quotes – Glen Buecker, Web Technician for OU Music School
- “We were able to develop the registration system in two weeks, compared to the months I would have spent writing and debugging code in other languages.”
- “Working with Real Studio is more cost effective, functions faster, looks appropriate to the OS and is much more flexible to use.”
- “Since going paperless, the School of Music has had no student arrive for auditions unannounced and because application status can be checked online, students know if they are missing information before they come to campus.”
About Real Studio
Real Studio, formerly Realbasic, is a full-featured cross-platform software development tool suited to creating a wide range of applications, from utilities to enterprise-class applications. Real Studio Personal Edition for Windows, Linux or Mac OS X is priced at $99 and is geared for hobbyists and students. Real Studio Professional Edition, required for cross-platform (Mac OS X, Windows and Linux) compilation, is $299. Real Studio Enterprise Edition, made for full-time developers, is priced at $995, and offers the ability to develop and deploy on Mac OS X, Windows, Linux, and the web. Real Studio Web Edition is now available and priced at $599. For more information or to download Real Studio today, visit Real Software at http://www.realsoftware.com/download.
About Real Software
Real Software provides Real Studio, a cross-platform desktop, console and web development tool. Real Software was founded in 1996 and is based in Austin, Texas. For more information visit http://www.realsoftware.com or call 866.825.2114.