As people shop for mom this year, they love to know what are the hippest and most desirable oil paintings on the market. Our large audience and analytical expertise gives us a unique perspective into the art market.
Wichita, KS (PRWEB) April 27, 2011
The popular online art gallery overstockArt.com, published today its official top five list of most popular oil paintings for Mother’s Day 2011. Topping the chart is Claude Monet’s maternal sensual masterpiece Poppy Field in Argenteuil. Other artists named on the 2011 Mother’s Day Top 5 Most Popular Oil Paintings for Mom list include Georgia O'Keeffe, Gustav Klimt, Pablo Picasso, Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Vincent van Gogh.
The oil paintings that made the 2011 Mother’s Day Top 5 Oil Paintings for Mom list are:
1. Poppy Field in Argenteuil, Claude Monet – In this colorful oil painting, originally created in 1873, Claude Monet painted his wife and son strolling together among the poppies.
2. Le tre eta della donna (Mother and Child), Gustav Klimt – Mother and Child is part of Klimt’s famous oil painting Three Ages of Woman. The painting depicts an image of a mother cradling her young son. The original was created in 1905, three years after the death of Klimt’s baby son, Otto.
3. Maternity, Pablo Picasso – Maternity by Pablo Picasso is a stunning oil painting, originally created in 1905, depicts the intimate and relentless bond of a mother and her child.
4. Two Sisters (On the Terrace), Pierre-Auguste Renoir – This masterpiece by Renoir is a celebration of the beauty of spring and the promise of youth. Interestingly, the two girls depicted in the painting were not sisters, as indicated by the work's original title, but unrelated models.
5. Oriental Poppies, Georgia O’Keeffe – Oriental Poppies is Georgia O'Keeffe’s most famous example of large scale paintings of flowers which she is so well known for. O’Keeffe painted flowers outside of their normal scale so that people would be surprised by them, and would view them with fresh eyes.
More than 2,000,000 page views to overstockArt.com’s Mother’s Day gallery, were tracked. According to the click tracking, Poppy Field in Argenteuil, was the most sought after painting clicked at almost 34 percent, and Klimt’s Le tre eta della donna (Mother and Child) garnered 21 percent of the clicks to grab second.
“Mother’s Day is our third busiest selling period of the year,” said David Sasson, founder and president of overstockArt.com. “As people shop for mom this year, they love to know what are the hippest and most desirable oil paintings on the market. Our large audience and analytical expertise gives us a unique perspective into the art market.”