“Clinical trials involving stroke present a number of challenges.” said James Dix, MD., Medical Director, Neuroradiology. “We are pleased our neuroradiology imaging core lab expertise was recognized by the Sponsor."
San Antion, TX (PRWEB) May 16, 2011
Intrinsic Imaging LLC, a medical imaging core lab providing complete image management and radiological review services to global pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device organizations, announces today that it was recently awarded a pivotal multi-center clinical trial to evaluate a new treatment for patients diagnosed with acute ischemic stroke.
In this important trial, Intrinsic Imaging will provide imaging core lab services as well as provide its team of board certified neuroradiologists for the complex interpretation and assessment of treatment efficacy pertaining to ischemic stroke - a type of stroke that results from arterial blockage in the brain due to a cerebral thrombosis or embolism.
According to the World Health Organization, 15 million people worldwide suffer a stroke each year. It is estimated that 87 percent of these are categorized as ischemic. In the United States alone, stroke has now become the third leading cause of death and is the leading cause of serious, long-term disability.
“Clinical trials involving disorders of the central nervous system (CNS) such as stroke present a number of challenges due to the extensive knowledge base required and due to the complexity of image assessments and interpretations.” said James Dix, MD., Medical Director, Neuroradiology at Intrinsic Imaging. “We are pleased our neuroradiology imaging core lab expertise was recognized by the Sponsor and that we were selected to participate in this important clinical trial that could lead to a very beneficial and effective new treatment for stroke patients.”
Intrinsic Imaging radiologists are deeply involved in the diagnosis and treatment of stroke and other central nervous system disorders and perform hundreds of thousands of CNS related radiologic exams annually. Their team of 10 full time board certified neuroradiologists specialize in all brain and spine pathology with broad experience and expertise in MRI, CT, diagnostic and interventional angiographic procedures, as well as PET imaging using novel CNS markers.
Further, Intrinsic Imaging neuroradiology expertise includes, but is not limited to;
- Stroke evaluation and treatment including diffusion and perfusion imaging with subsequent intravenous and intra-arterial thrombectomy and thrombolysis.
- Ultrasound, CTA, MRA and catheter angiography for quantifying percent stenosis of the carotid bifurcation by the NASCET criteria.
- Alzheimer’s disease analysis with quantitative PET, CT and evaluation for Alzheimer’s disease using sub-segmentation of the cerebral cortex including gray and white matter volumes as well as hippocampal volumes.
- Evaluation and treatment of cerebral aneurysms, arteriovenous malformations (AVM’s) and dural arteriovenous fistulas (DAVF’s) with CTA, MRA and catheter angiography
- Preoperative imaging with functional MRI (fMRI), diffusion tensor imaging (DTI), perfusion, spectroscopy and surface rendering of the cortex and cortical venous anatomy.
- Quantitative CSF flow analysis for Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (communicating hydrocephalus) and obstructive hydrocephalus.
- Subspecialty interpretation of CT and MRI of spinal degenerative disease.
“Central Nervous System disorders such as stroke, Alzheimer’s, multiple sclerosis and Parkinson disease, currently affect 1 billion people globally. These patients and their families depend upon new treatments in the hope of prolonging life and/or having an improved quality of life. Intrinsic Imaging is proud to play a significant role in neuroradiology clinical trials and to contribute to the development of effective new interventional treatments.” said Todd A. Joron, President and Chief Operating Officer, Intrinsic Imaging.
About Intrinsic Imaging LLC
Located in San Antonio, TX and Boston, MA, Intrinsic is a medical imaging core lab providing complete image management and radiological review services to global pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device organizations. With its team of more than sixty sub-specialized, board-certified radiologists, and through its use of advanced medical imaging technology, Intrinsic Imaging experienced clinical trial team provides sponsors with comprehensive imaging core lab services across all therapeutic areas including expert radiologist consultation, protocol design and image charter development, investigator site qualification and training, as well as image acquisition, processing, analysis and data management. For more information, please visit http://www.IntrinsicCRO.com.