The summer heat can speed up the chemical reaction inside a battery, causing the battery to be overcharged and therefore reducing its life considerably.
London, UK (PRWEB) May 04, 2011
Hot summer days are as bad for a vehicles battery as the freezing temperatures of winter and as a result, summer Battery Maintenance shouldn’t be overlooked, says CTEK, a leading global brand in the care and maintenance of vehicle batteries.
The summer heat can make the battery fluid evaporate faster and speed up the internal corrosion process, consequently severely reducing the life of a battery if not killing it all together. Research has even shown that heat kills batteries 33 per cent quicker than winter temperatures.
Battery Charging is a necessity all year round to avoid failure, but there are additional preventive measures drivers can take to ensure that the life span of their batteries isn’t cut short.
- Do a visual inspection to see if the battery case is bulging, cracked or leaking. If it is, it’s time to replace it.
- Clean up the connections by removing any corrosion, lead oxidation, paint or rust from the top of the battery with a scouring pad or brass brush.
- If your battery has removable filler caps, open the caps and check the water level in each cell. If the water level is low, add distilled water (avoid tap water) until the plates are covered.
- Check that the car electrical system is charging at the correct rate; both overcharging and undercharging reduces the battery life.
- If you do have to replace the battery make sure the new battery is as high in standard as the one originally specified.
Jan-Ulf Soderberg, Head of Marketing, CTEK, commented: “The summer heat can speed up the chemical reaction inside a battery, causing the battery to be overcharged and therefore reducing its life considerably. In fact, as many, if not more, batteries fail in July than in January. The cause is very different but unless the correct preventative measures are taken the outcome is the same – battery failure and the expense and inconvenience of a replacement.”
CTEK offers a host of 12V and 24V Battery Chargers to suit everything from cars and motorcycles to lawn mowers and commercial vehicles.
For more information, please visit http://www.ctek.com