Project Sunshine recruits and trains a corps of compassionate volunteers who dedicate time and talent to children facing medical challenges.
New York, NY (PRWEB) May 06, 2011
Project Sunshine, a New York City-based charity, celebrates its annual week of service, Project Sunshine Week, from May 9-17. Starting with proclamations from Governor Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Michael Bloomberg, the week will include a number of service-oriented activities and events and will culminate with the Eighth Annual Project Sunshine Benefit on Tuesday, May 17th.
“Project Sunshine recruits and trains a corps of compassionate volunteers who dedicate time and talent to children facing medical challenges,” said Beatrice Kernan, Executive Director, Project Sunshine. “This week aims to celebrate and honor the tireless efforts of the thousands of trained volunteers, sponsors and community members who strive to bring sunshine into the lives of these children and their families.”
For more than a decade, Project Sunshine has been bringing its own form of light to the city that never sleeps. During this special week, both national and local businesses will band together to raise funds and awareness for the organization. Born out of the vision of one college student, Project Sunshine has grown into a global network of volunteers who bring free educational, recreational and social programs to children and families in hospitals.
An Official New York City Celebration
- The city will show its support for Project Sunshine with proclamations from New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg that May 9-17 is officially Project Sunshine Week. In addition, Project Sunshine banners will be displayed along Wall Street.
- New York Yankee catcher Francisco Cervelli will join New York Times Bestselling Author, Sally Cook, in conjunction with Project Sunshine, as she reads her baseball-themed children’s book to hospitalized kids at Mount Sinai Hospital on Wednesday, May 11th.
- The Empire State Building will glow yellow in honor of Project Sunshine Week.
- On Tuesday, May 17th, Project Sunshine will host its Eighth Annual Project Sunshine Benefit at Cipriani Wall Street. The theme of the evening is “One Sunny Night” and will honor Lillian Vernon, Founder of Lillian Vernon Corporation and a pioneer of cause marketing and corporate social responsibility, with the Project Sunshine Award for Philanthropic Leadership.
- The night will include celebrity appearances on the Project Sunshine “Yellow Carpet,” including Sports Illustrated models Christine Teigen and Damaris Lewis, Actress Abigail Breslin, Miss USA Rima Fikah, New York Giant David Diehl, Chicago Bulls Derrick Rose, Emilio Delgado, Sonia Manzano, cocktail hour entertainment by Ace Greenberg and his Merry Magicians, and a live performance by singer and songwriter, Peter Cincotti.
During Project Sunshine Week, Our Exclusive Partners Raise Awareness and Support
In celebration of Project Sunshine Week:
- Helen Ficalora designed a 14k gold Sun Charm which sells in her New York City, Beverly Hills, Chicago, Palm Beach, Dallas and Bridgehampton stores with 25% of proceeds going to Project Sunshine during Project Sunshine Week and throughout the year. She has also launched a very special sterling silver Sun Charm, with 100% of the proceeds benefitting Project Sunshine throughout the year, available at http://www.projectsunshine.org.
- Judith Leiber, an American luxury brand, has created a Project Sunshine mirror with the Project Sunshine logo in Swarovski crystals for sale in her Beverly Hills, Costa Mesa and Las Vegas stores, with 10% of sales to go to Project Sunshine during Project Sunshine Week.
- Stuart Weitzman will donate 10% of sales from his Gold Nappa flat, “Handbasket,“ from May 9th through May 31st at his Madison Avenue store to benefit Project Sunshine.
About Project Sunshine
Project Sunshine is a nonprofit organization that empowers a dynamic and dedicated corps of over 10,000 volunteers to bring programming – recreational (arts), educational (tutoring and mentoring) and social service (HIV and nutritional counseling) – to over 60,000 children facing medical challenges and their families in 150 major cities across the United States, and in five international satellite sites: Canada, China, Israel, Kenya, and Puerto Rico. Project Sunshine is dedicated to bringing a ray of hope to these hospitalized children. Project Sunshine Week is a week dedicated to raising awareness and support for the organization through a series of events and programs. This year, Project Sunshine Week starts May 9th, with the annual benefit celebration at Cipriani Wall Street as the culmination of the week on May 17th. For more information and ways you can get involved, visit http://www.projectsunshine.org.
# # #