Yet even with this name recognition, OnStar FMV it is truly an apprentice to the more established and experienced CarShield alternative.
Sunnyvale, CA (PRWEB) May 06, 2011
Consumers watching this Sunday’s “The Celebrity Apprentice” on NBC will see promotions for OnStar FMV, an aftermarket vehicle safety, security and connectivity device that’s a mere apprentice to CarShield, a more feature-rich alternative.
“We’re tickled that Mr. Trump and ‘The Celebrity Apprentice’ are featuring OnStar FMV this Sunday, which will help educate consumers about these important vehicle safety and security products and services,” said Scott Nesbit, VP of Business Development at CarShield.
Both CarShield and OnStar FMV are telematics devices. This technology sends, receives and stores information effecting vehicle operations, including automatic crash detection, 24/7 emergency services and more. CarShield, however, offers consumers more safety, security, convenience and diagnostic benefits than does OnStar FMV.
“Most consumers have a general idea of what OnStar is and what it does. Yet even with this name recognition OnStar FMV is truly an apprentice to the more established and experienced CarShield alternative. OnStar FMV is a less capable version of regular OnStar service, which is only available on General Motors products. We believe consumers will want to compare CarShield and OnStar FMV,” Nesbit added.
These devices help save lives and protect property. Citing national vehicle accident and FBI statistics, Nesbit said every 14 seconds someone is injured in a car crash, that 30% of all fatal accidents are due to excessive speeds, and that two vehicles a minute are stolen. CarShield and similar telematics products that monitor and report vehicle functions can speed emergency response when needed, monitor vehicles to promote safe vehicle speeds, and prevent vehicle theft.
OnStar FMV will not be available until this summer and only through Best Buy and other retailers. CarShield is available now, online at http://www.mycarshield.com, from local new-car dealers, and from select retailers. OnStar FMV must be professionally installed on any make or model vehicle. CarShield has models for quick plug-in or for professional installation and works on any 1996 and later make or model. Retail pricing is similar for either product. Only CarShield features integrated engine diagnostics and alerts as standard.
Consumers are encouraged to compare CarShield versus OnStar FMV. Overall, the CarShield team outperforms this newcomer in these key consumer benefit categories (click for comparison chart):
- More robust driver safety features, including nationwide automatic crash detection, 24/7 emergency assistance, plus exclusive alerts for key safety functions such as brakes, engine acceleration, excessive speed, and engine temperature, as well as door unlock and low and dead battery alerts.
More than 50 million roadside assistance calls are made each year, with a substantial number for door-unlock and dead battery services. Many of these calls and potentially unsafe situations could be avoided by using CarShield standard technology and services available to consumers today.
- More advanced vehicle security protection, including GPS-based locate and track stolen vehicle features, door unlock (no need to wait hours for a third-party locksmith as dispatched by OnStar FMV), alarm notification, starter interrupt, unauthorized movement and more.
- Greater consumer convenience, with 24/7 live customer help line, web interface access and iPhone / Android apps, remote start, trip logs and reports, and system transferability.
- Exclusive to CarShield, professional-grade DealerSyncsm engine diagnostics (engine diagnostics not available on OnStar FMV) to help consumers and their dealers keep their vehicles in top performance for maximum MPG.
"OnStar FMV does offer an optional turn-by-turn navigation module, at additional cost, but given so many drivers today use smartphones having built-in GPS functionality this option would seem to be of small interest to many consumers," Nesbit said.
“Vehicle telematics are having increasingly important roles in transportation today, and aftermarket telematics solutions like CarShield help drivers owning any make or model vehicle enjoy telematics safety, security and convenience benefits,” Nesbit added. “To learn even more about these services, we encourage consumers to watch ‘The Celebrity Apprentice’ this Sunday on NBC.”
To learn more about CarShield, go to http://www.mycarshield.com or call 888-244-1611.
- CarShield and the CarShield emblem are the registered trademarks of CarShield Services Inc. DealerSync is a Service Mark of CarShield Services Inc All Rights Reserved.
- OnStar and the OnStar emblem are registered trademarks of OnStar, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
- "The Apprentice", "The Celebrity Apprentice" and all related logos and slogans TM and © 2010 JMBP, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
- Information provided in this news release is gathered from public sources including but not limited to CarShield website at http://www.mycarshield.com and from OnStar website at http://www.onstar.com and the NBC website at http://www.nbc.com/the-apprentice/
# # #