Canada has become a new haven for cybercriminals. The time is now for the Canadian public and private sector to come together, share best practices and defend Canada from this new wave of cyber assaults.
Toronto (PRWEB) May 17, 2011
The second annual SC Congress Canada, the premier Canadian event for information security leaders taking place in Toronto on June 14 through 15, 2011, announces the addition of Dr. Ann Cavoukian, information and privacy commissioner, Ontario, to the conference’s highly esteemed lineup of keynotes. In addition, the 2011 SC Awards Canada, the country’s premier recognition for IT security professionals are now open. The deadline is May 25.
With only four weeks to go, this year’s conference agenda is packed with the topics and people that will ultimately shape the future and success of Canadian IT security. Dr. Ann Cavoukian will join security experts with the know-how to address and combat the security challenges that matter most to Canadian citizens.
SC Congress Canada Keynotes
- Privacy by ReDesign (NEW) - Commissioner Cavoukian will discuss how Privacy by Redesign (PbRD), an extension of Privacy by Design (PbD), a recognized Global Standard, can engineer privacy protection into legacy systems to tackle privacy challenges from the past to ensure privacy well into the future. Organizations are operating with existing, mature IT systems and business practices with years of invested resources. As a result, designing and implementing new systems is not practical. This session will address how to overcome this challenge and help your organizations clear any roadblocks for embedding privacy as a default condition.
Dr. Ann Cavoukian, information and privacy commissioner, Ontario
- Information Sharing - A Government Perspective – Governments place information sharing high on the priority list, as the public sector looks to establish policies and processes to make this 'behavior' efficient and effective. The panel features professionals from a diverse group of agencies that discuss how their agencies share information both within the government - and more equally importantly with the private sector.
Howard Cox, assistant deputy chief, computer crime & intellectual property section, U.S. Department of Justice
- Securing the Cyber Commons? - Learn about the major driving forces that are shaping cyberspace today, and why incidents of cyber espionage and warfare are becoming more prevalent worldwide. The Munk School professors will address how the hopes of preserving cyberspace as an open public commons are threatened by these major driving forces, leading to a kind of "perfect storm" in cyberspace. The issue of how to secure the cyber commons, and indeed whether cyberspace can be considered a commons at all, will be analyzed.
Ron Deibert, professor of political science, and director of the Canada Centre for Global
Security Studies and the Citizen Lab at the Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto
Rafal Rohozinski, senior fellow, Munk School of Global Affairs & CEO, SecDev Group
SC Congress Canada also features timely breakout sessions, where Canadian subject matter experts address burning security questions and challenges. Must-attend sessions include: The RSA Security Breach, New Details Unfold; Stuxnet, When Will It End?; The WikiLeaks, What Happened and How to Prevent It; Threat of the Hour, CERT Addresses the Latest most Dangerous Threats; Going Mobile, The State of Today’s Mobile Threat Landscape and How to Defend Against It; Selling Security to Management, Get a Seat at the Table and Buy-In from Management; eDiscovery and Your PCI-DSS Stance and much, much more!
2011 SC Awards Canada
The 2011 SC Awards Canada honors the achievements of companies and IT security professionals striving to safeguard businesses, their customers and critical data in Canada. Nominate the IT security products, services and individuals that are true examples of excellence, shaping the Canadian security landscape now and into the future. Winners will be announced as part of the festivities of the SC Congress Canada. This year’s categories include:
- Government CSO of the year
- Financial Services CSO of the Year
- Health Care CSO of the Year
- Best Security Team
- Information Security Professional of the Year
- Best Information Security Researcher
- Best Information Security Professor
- Best Information Security Program
- Best Information Security VAR
- CEO of the Year
“Cybercrime in Canada is on the rise,” said Illena Armstrong, editor in chief, SC Magazine. “Canada has become a new haven for cybercriminals. The time is now for the Canadian public and private sector to come together, share best practices and defend Canada from this new wave of cyber assaults. I look forward to seeing each and every one of you at the SC Congress Canada in just a few short weeks. Let’s join forces against the bad guys, while at the same time celebrating the work of the good guys!”
A full list of speakers, a conference agenda, media partners, sponsors and participant registration can be found at http://www.scmagazineus.com/sc-world-congress-canada/section/1576/.
Registration for the conference is currently open. To register for the conference, please visit http://www.scmagazineus.com/sc-congress-canada/section/1576/.
About SC Magazine
SC Magazine was named winner of 2010 Magazine of the Year by the American Society of Business Publication Editors (ASBPE). It provides IT security professionals with in-depth and unbiased information through timely news, comprehensive analysis, cutting-edge features, contributions from thought leaders and the best, most extensive collection of product reviews in the business. By offering a consolidated view of IT security through independent product tests and well-researched editorial content that provides the contextual backdrop for how these IT security tools will address larger demands put on businesses today, SC Magazine enables IT security pros to make the right security decisions for their companies. In addition to the monthly print magazine and a vibrant website updated daily, the brand's portfolio includes SC World Congress Conference and Expo, SC Congress Canada, SC Magazine Awards, SC Directory and SC Magazine Newswire.