Houston, TX (PRWEB) May 19, 2011
Austin Morris, managing partner of SunGard Global Services’ energy practice, said, “In the energy and utilities industries, participants must contend with dramatic growth in volumes of information due to the growing number of instruments, exchanges and markets as well as the increasing granularity of data. They must also prepare their infrastructures for changes in stakeholder oversight and regulation at a time of great uncertainty. Energy traders, producers and utilities must be able to mitigate the risk and cost of business today, by focusing on managing information more efficiently, ensuring higher data accuracy and quality, and providing timely assessment of positions and risk.”
Ten trends driving trading, risk and data management initiatives in the energy and utilities industry are:
1. Energy companies need better access to liquidity in order to enhance margins and reduce risk
2. Global demand and major changes in energy markets are causing greater business challenges in terms of growth, investment and recruitment
3. Increasing cost and competition require better transparency, efficiency and information management
4. The need to control costs and optimize capital is driving operational efficiency as a top priority
Risk & regulation
5. Dodd-Frank, CFTC and other regulators globally are greatly impacting industry participants by increasing regulatory oversight and reporting requirements
6. New proposed capital reporting and clearing requirements also will affect a large number of participants by requiring modified trading behaviors
7. Price volatility and aging infrastructures are making risk management more challenging, driving increased reinvestment in technology
8. Growing complexities in the industry have caused an explosion of systems and data
9. The increased volumes and complexity of data is driving demand for smarter data mining to reduce cost and increase accuracy
10. Producers and utilities are seeking smarter technologies to increase efficiency, from the field to the CEO
Jill Feblowitz, vice president and practice director, IDC Energy Insights, said, “Energy players are faced with unprecedented challenges, including a slow economic recovery, flat energy prices, and mixed messages on regulations. Information management, smart grid technologies and other business intelligence approaches will help participants improve their ability to manage change, reduce cost and risk, and enhance efficiencies in operations, delivery and service.”
Are you capitalizing on change? We invite you join the conversation and see what the industry is saying about the latest trends taking place at http://www.capitalize-on-change.com/. Follow SunGard key trends in areas of financial services at http://twitter.com/SunGardFS and energy and commodities at http://twitter.com/sungardenergy.
About SunGard’s Solutions for Energy & Commodities
SunGard's energy and commodities solutions help energy companies, corporate hedgers, hedge funds and financial services firms to compete efficiently in global energy and commodities markets by streamlining and integrating the trading, risk management and operations of physical commodities and their associated financial instruments. Through real-time data, connectivity and analysis, SunGard's energy and commodities solutions help customers achieve transparency and regulatory compliance, address end-to-end transaction and operational lifecycles, and meet time-to-market needs with flexible deployment options. For more information, visit http://www.sungard.com/energyandcommodities.
About SunGard Global Services
SunGard Global Services delivers business consulting, technology and professional services for financial services firms, energy organizations and corporations. Leveraging SunGard’s global delivery model, more than 5,000 employees in over 25 locations help customers manage their complex data needs, optimize end-to-end business processes and assist with systems integration, while providing full application development, maintenance, testing and support services.
SunGard is one of the world's leading software and technology services companies. SunGard has more than 20,000 employees and serves 25,000 customers in 70 countries. SunGard provides software and processing solutions for financial services, higher education and the public sector. SunGard also provides disaster recovery services, managed IT services, information availability consulting services and business continuity management software. With annual revenue of about $5 billion, SunGard is ranked 434 on the Fortune 500 and is the largest privately held business software and IT services company. Look for us wherever the mission is critical. For more information, visit http://www.sungard.com.
Trademark Information: SunGard and the SunGard logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of SunGard Data Systems Inc. or its subsidiaries in the U.S. and other countries. All other trade names are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.