San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) May 25, 2011
To satisfy the demand for new online video programming well-suited to the entertainment passions of today’s 18 to 34 year old consumers, Metacafe has teamed with Strike.TV to introduce seven original Web series from award-winning TV and movie writers to the Metacafe audience of 12 million unique monthly U.S. viewers . Viewers are invited to vote for their favorite among the seven series, and the audience-favorite pick will be awarded the honor of bringing a second season to life on Metacafe, supported by a sponsoring brand advertiser who may be integrated into the content. The “MetaVote” channel showcasing these series is live at http://www.metacafe.com/metavote and voting is open through June 13, 2011.
“The MetaVote contest is a way for top creative talent to get exposure among and feedback from those who know online entertainment best — our audience of entertainment enthusiasts and influencers who define pop culture and determine breakout hits in the social media world,” said Steven Horn, VP of programming at Metacafe. “By teaming with Strike.TV, we are bringing the passion ‘side projects’ of some of the hottest creators in Hollywood direct to our audience. And, with the resulting launch of season two of the winning show, we are creating a great opportunity for one of our advertising partners to closely align with a Web series that has already proven popular with this influential audience.”
Each featured Web series will present four episodes, typically less than five minutes long, during the voting period. Individual episodes will be featured on the channel with new episodes highlighted each day at 11:00 a.m. PDT.
- Mondays: Unknown Sender is a wickedly funny suspense series, “curated” by the title character, a mysterious, unseen hacker. Written by Steven E. de Souza (“Die Hard 1 & 2”, “Tales from Crypt”, “48 HRS.”), it features major guest stars, including former 007 Timothy Dalton, Joanne Whalley (“The Borgias”) and Mindy “Frau Farbissina” Sterling.
- Tuesdays: Coma, Period conceived by accomplished writer/director Rick Castañeda, is a darkly irreverent comedy about our inept hero, Dan (starting comedian Rob Delaney), and the ways he torments and rewards himself in the stasis of being in a coma.
- Wednesdays: Let’s Get Laid is the story of Jennifer, a chronic short-term dater, who guides her best friend, the newly-single Melissa, through the unwritten rules of the young dating world. Created by and starring Melissa Hunter and Jennifer Cron, two young, up-and-coming writers and producers.
- Thursdays: Dwelling is a story of three roommates who willingly share a house, but unwillingly share their lives, written and directed by Anthony Q. Farrell, writer of NBC’s “The Office” and three-time Writer's Guild Award nominee.
- Fridays: Daryl from OnCar is the story of a rogue customer service rep who inflicts his will upon the life of an ordinary man. This award-winning comedy short is written and created by Russ Carney and Ron Corcillo, who also wrote, “Malcolm in the Middle.”
- Saturdays: Hildy Hildy is an animated series about the world of an outsider, a poet and a caffeinated visionary. Created, written and produced by Patricia Scanlon and directed by Dan Lund, whose credits include; “The Simpsons,” “The Princess and the Frog,” “Aladdin” and “The Lion King.”
- Sundays: B-Rock is a no-holds-barred cartoon about President Obama's secret identity as a hip hop superhero. It is produced by BRP1 Productions and created/written by Wayne Stamps, whose credits include; UPN’s “Moesha” and “The Parkers,” Disney Channel’s animated series “The Proud Family”, and Nickelodeon’s “Just Jordan.”
“Our focus at Strike.TV is to bring high-quality and highly entertaining original programming to the Web, leveraging the talents of proven writers with TV and movie successes,” said Peter Hyoguchi, co-founder and CEO of Strike.TV. “The shows featured in the MetaVote program are great examples of this, and we’re excited to introduce them to the Metacafe audience. While it’s hard for me to pick a favorite, I look forward to learning which proves most popular with viewers and rewarding the winning creator. This is a great opportunity to bring a second season to life in partnership with Metacafe and supported by a brand advertiser who recognizes the power of online entertainment in connecting with younger audiences.”
About Metacafe – The Video Entertainment Engine
Metacafe is the first entertainment destination solely dedicated to showcasing the best videos from the world of Movies, Video Games, Sports, Music and TV. Metacafe is the trusted source that keeps millions of viewers plugged into their entertainment passions every day. The company connects marquee brand advertisers with their target consumers via close association with the most popular entertainment content on the Web. Metacafe attracts 12 million unique monthly U.S. viewers. The privately held company is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in New York City, Los Angeles, London and Tel Aviv. For more information – and millions of entertaining videos – visit http://www.metacafe.com.
Strike.TV was created by professional screenwriters during the 2007/2008 Writer's Strike to provide an Internet platform for high quality, independently produced web series. Since then, Strike.TV has distributed over sixty series with over two hundred webisodes created by some of the finest talent in the entertainment business, both behind and in front of the camera. Contributors include writers of Saturday Night Live, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Die Hard, 48 Hours, Tomb Raider, The Daily Show, The Office, Top Gun, The Black Stallion, Prairie Home Companion, Magnum PI, Malcolm in the Middle, Mad TV, Touched by an Angel, How I Met Your Mother, Robot Chicken, The Hulk, General Hospital, Farscape and many more. Contributing actors include Brad Pitt, Timothy Dalton, Mindy Kaling (The Office), Kristen Wiig (SNL), Brandon Routh (Superman Returns), Aasif Mandvi (The Daily Show) and legendary Bob Newhart.
- Kelly Maxwell, for Metacafe: kmaxwell(at)blancandotus(dot)com, 415.856.5176
- Bobbi Marcus, for Strike.TV: bobbi(at)bobbimarcuspr(dot)com, 310.889.9200