London, England (PRWEB) June 07, 2011
Faber and Touch Press today announced a new digital edition of T. S. Eliot’s The Waste Land for iPad is now available on the App Store. The Waste Land for iPad brings alive the most revolutionary poem of the last hundred years, illuminated by a wealth of interactive features. The title’s groundbreaking design carefully respects the typography and integrity of the original poem, yet offers spectacular new ways to explore The Waste Land’s significance and influence.
“No writer is more closely associated with Faber than T. S. Eliot and it is a privilege to work on any new edition of The Waste Land,” said Henry Volans, head of Faber Digital. “We are delighted to partner with Touch Press for this marriage of literature and the revolutionary iPad. The Waste Land App is a flagship project in Faber’s mission to re-imagine poetry for the digital age.”
“The Waste Land for iPad attempts to do for this defining poem of the 20th-century what The Elements has done for the periodic table – bring a profoundly important subject to the attention of a new digital audience and make it come alive in their hands,” said Max Whitby, co-founder and CEO of Touch Press.
Features of the app include:
- A powerful filmed performance of the entire poem by Fiona Shaw, synchronized to the text.
- Complete audio readings of the poem, also synchronized to the text, by T. S. Eliot himself, Alec Guinness, Ted Hughes, and Viggo Mortensen.
- Comprehensive interactive notes to guide the user through the poem’s many references.
- Over 35 expert video perspectives on the poem, filmed in partnership with BBC Arena, including contributions from Seamus Heaney and Jeanette Winterson.
- Original manuscript pages revealing how the poem took shape under Ezra Pound’s editing.
- An overview tool to reveal the complete structure of the verse and allow rapid navigation.
The Waste Land for iPad is available for $13.99 (£7.99) from the App Store on iPad or at http://www.itunes.com/appstore/.