The most important thing an individual must remember when creating a resume is that they won’t have the opportunity to read and explain the document—it must capture a hiring manager’s attention on its own.
Lincoln, NE (PRWEB) June 09, 2011
ResumeEdge, a Nelnet company and leading online provider of resume writing services, today published a new resource, “Top 10 Blunders in Resume Writing.” In a time where applications are stacked a mile high, resumes must be flawless. Unfortunately, many job seekers don’t know what to include in a resume to make it stand out to hiring managers. ResumeEdge, a resume writing organization renowned for its expertise on the subject, is answering the call for help.
“Resume writing can be challenging, requiring succinct points and a professional illustration of individuality,” said Nina Freier, Director of ResumeEdge. “The most important thing an individual must remember when creating a resume is that they won’t have the opportunity to read and explain the document—it must capture a hiring manager’s attention on its own.”
To help job seekers’ resumes stand out and avoid common mistakes, ResumeEdge offers the following “Top 10 Blunders in Resume Writing”:
1. Failing to proofread. Job seekers should proofread their resume and proofread it again to avoid it being tossed aside because of easily avoided typos. Use spell check and grammar check.
2. Using nonstandard fonts or design tactics. In some creative fields, certain liberties are acceptable. However, this is not the case in most industries. Fonts should be true type (Arial, Times New Roman), as these are universal on computers. Layouts should reflect superb organization so the hiring manager can quickly see what the applicant has to offer.
3. Neglecting to provide data that enhances candidacy. Capabilities such as fluency in foreign language and certifications and licensure should be highlighted.
4. Listing everything. Be selective and use examples that are appropriate for the job. It is exhausting for the resume writer and the reader to have an extensive list.
5. Believing a resume is about what the applicant desires. It’s not. It’s about meeting the needs of a hiring manager. Focus the language on the competencies the organization is seeking, not promoting personal goals.
6. Subscribing to unprofessional gimmicks. Although job seekers want to stand out, they should do it through impactful language, not scented paper or gifts.
7. Forgetting to quantify accomplishments. Many job seekers neglect to see the value in the number of people managed or amount of money raised or saved. In fact, it can be quite noteworthy.
8. Failing to employ a qualifications summary. Use those first few seconds of the resume reader’s time to get across the most powerful points, strengths and achievements.
9. Thinking that one resume fits all positions. It’s a no-brainer, yet a very common mistake. Even within an industry, organizations have different needs and cultures. Do research and pay close attention to the job announcement’s language.
10. Listening to random advice. Some resume "experts" may think they know what they are talking about, but they aren't necessarily providing the best advice. Job seekers should find credible sources when looking for tips.
For help crafting a resume, ResumeEdge, a company that specializes in professional resume writing services, can help. The certified resume specialists at ResumeEdge embrace the art of resume writing and are instrumental in the connection between hiring professionals and job seekers. To learn more about ResumeEdge’s resume writing service, resume editing service and career resources, visit ResumeEdge.com.
ResumeEdge (http://www.resumeedge.com) is the leading provider of resume writing services online and has partnered with Yahoo! HotJobs, CareerJournal, and Dice.com. The website and resume writing blog provide industry-leading resources for job seekers. ResumeEdge's hand-picked team of resume writers specializes in 40 different industries to provide the highest quality resume and cover letter services available. ResumeEdge provides a variety of professional resume services that help job seekers land their dream jobs.