(PRWEB) June 16, 2011
Argos, the UK’s leading general merchandise retailer, will appear on TVs up and down the country from today, as it launches its own home shopping television channel – a first for a UK high street retailer.
Hosted on Sky, available to view in 10 million homes, the new channel will act as a ‘shop window’ for the retailer allowing customers greater access to products with in-depth demonstrations. It will broadcast 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and can also be viewed online via a computer or laptop at http://www.argos.co.uk/tv.
Showcasing more than a thousand products a week, Argos TV will feature top brands and Argos exclusives as well as celebrity ranges including; Davina McCall’s health and fitness range, new jewellery collections from Colleen Rooney, Alesha Dixon and JLS, Andrew Barton hair products and Jamie Oliver BBQ products.
The experienced presenting team at launch includes:
- Claire Stuart – background in dance and drama, most recently honed her fashion skills as a cutting edge stylist in The Fashion Police
- Sy Thomas – CBBC and CITV presenter, actor and stand-up comedian
- Kat Camsey – regular presenter on Sky, has also starred in a number of short films
- Jemma Forte – starting out on the Disney Channel, Jemma has presented on ITV and BBC, including the National Lottery Show
- Gemma Scott – has presented for Channel 5, BSkyB, Eurosport among others, and is also a champion sailor
- Sam Simmons – combines experience in production and research, with experience in fine art, advertising and animation
Argos Business Development Director Adrian Burleton commented, “As the leader in multi-channel shopping, Argos will use television to add a further dimension to the way in which customers can shop for its products from home.
“The new Argos TV channel sees us really delivering on our commitment to offer our customers a whole range of convenient ways to shop with us. In contrast to other shopping channels, many products aired on Argos TV can be collected immediately in one of 750 stores and held until the end of the next working day via the groundbreaking online Check & Reserve service. With the TV home shopping market valued at £750m and growing, it’s a great opportunity for us.”
Head of Argos TV Darren Frost commented, “We are very excited about the launch of our new TV channel and the prospect of showcasing products straight into UK living rooms. Now customers can access more in-depth product information and enjoy engaging content as well as share ideas using our fully integrated Twitter and Facebook pages.”
The channel provides customers with yet another way to browse the Argos range, working side-by-side with the catalogue, stores and website. Combining that with multiple options to order and purchase, through in-store, online, mobile and telephone gives shoppers unrivalled convenience as well as broad choice and great value.
To view Argos TV tune in to Sky channel 642 or visit http://www.argos.co.uk/tv.
Note to News Editors: For more information contact Media Relations, tel: 0845 120 4365, mobile: 0771 3064079
About Home Shopping
- The home shopping channel market is worth around £750m a year
- Argos TV will be available to view in up to 10 million homes on Sky 642, and millions more
will be able to access Argos TV online at argos.co.uk/tv
- Argos will trial the home shopping channel opportunity by leasing Sky Channel 642 for one
Argos is a unique retailer recognised for choice, value and convenience. It sells general merchandise and products for the home from over 750 stores throughout the UK and Republic of Ireland, online and over the telephone. In the financial year to February 2011, Argos sales were £4.2 billion.
Argos serves over 135 million customers a year through its stores. On average, 17 million UK households, or around two thirds of the population, have an Argos catalogue at home at any time. Argos’ internet site, http://www.argos.co.uk, is one of the most visited high street retailers online in the UK.
Argos is part of Home Retail Group, the UK’s leading home and general merchandise retailer.
Home Retail Group has been awarded the Carbon Trust Standard which certifies that we have genuinely reduced our carbon footprint. We call our responsible approach ‘the basis of good business’. Find out more at: http://www.thebasisofgoodbusiness.com