San Diego, Ca (PRWEB) June 20, 2011
Firstat Nursing Services, a 14 year old home nursing agency and home health provider in San Diego, CA is supporting National Home Safety Month by educating the public on how to prevent trips and falls in the home.
The National Safety Council is encouraging businesses and communities across the country to participate in National Safety Month this June - an annual observance to increase awareness of the top causes of preventable injuries and deaths and to encourage safe behaviors.
“Thousands of older Americans end up in the emergency room each year because of injuries they suffered at home. Many of these injuries can be prevented with just a few changes to your home environment,” said Linnea Goodrich, owner of Firstat Nursing Services.
Falls are one of the leading causes of unintentional injuries in the United States, accounting for approximately 8.6 million visits to the emergency department. Adults 55 and older are more prone to becoming victims of falls, and the resulting injuries can diminish the ability to lead active, independent lives. The number of fall deaths among those 65 or older is 4 times the number of fall deaths among all other age groups.
To prevent falls, NSC recommends:
- Exercise, such as brisk walking, tai chi and yoga, helps reduce falls by improving strength and balance. Stay hydrated while exercising and consult your physician before starting an exercise program.
- Have a doctor or pharmacist review all of your medications. Some medicines, combination of medicines or other combinations (sun, alcohol, etc.) can make you drowsy or light-headed, which can lead to a fall.
- Have your vision checked regularly by an eye doctor. Poor vision can greatly increase your chance of falling.
- Pay attention when you walk or use stairs.
- Avoid distractions, such as texting or reading while walking, that can lead to a slip, trip or fall due to a step, crack or hole in the ground.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Falls can happen in any location, even in familiar areas.
Firstat Nursing Services has been helping seniors and injured people in the San Diego since 1997. Families wanting to learn more about how to How to Make Your Home Safe for an Elderly Parent are encouraged to visit the company website blog at http://budurl.com/FirstatHomeSafety