San Francisco, CA (PRWEB) June 27, 2011
Arrowhead Publishers and Conferences’ Drug Repositioning Conference will take place July 13-14, 2011 in San Francisco, California. The conference has been organized to highlight key trends, case studies and tool sets for identifying repositioning opportunities as well as the technical, regulatory and intellectual property challenges that arise out of these efforts.
Drug Repositioning lowers the cost of drug discovery, as preclinical and early stage clinical trials have already been completed. This leads to a larger return on investment for new drugs. Companies have found new indications for currently marketed drugs and use in combination therapy as well.
At this conference, attendees will hear groundbreaking repositioning case studies from Adolor Corporation, Vicus Therapeutics, Somaxon and iCo Therapeutics. They will also hear about various ways to identify, evaluate and exploit new opportunities for drug repositioning and how to leverage these opportunities. Speakers will also be discussing intellectual property issues relating to new use of known drugs, as well as various screening technologies and informatics-related methods for streamlining repositioning efforts. Speakers from GlaxoSmithKline, AstraZeneca and Merck Serono will also discuss their repositioning efforts and the means by which their programs are advancing.
This year’s speaking faculty includes:
- Pankaj Agarwal, Ph.D., Director, Computational Biology, Molecular Discovery & Development, GlaxoSmithKline
- Joan Ballesteros, Ph.D., Chairman & Chief Scientific Officer, Vivia Biotech SL
- Professor Nicholas Barnes, Co-founder & CEO, Celentyx
- Nick Brown, Associate Director Informatics Program Manager, New Opportunities, AstraZeneca
- Barry A. Bunin, Ph.D., CEO and Board Director, Collaborative Drug Discovery (CDD)
- Kuldip Dave, Ph.D., Associate Director – Research Programs, The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research
- Brian Dorsey, SVP of Technical Operations, Somaxon
- Raul Insa, MD, Ph.D., Chief Executive Officer, SOM Biotech
- Bert Le Bourdonnec, Ph.D., Senior Director, Program Management & Discovery, Adolor Corporation
- Christopher A. Lipinski, Ph.D., Scientific Advisor, Melior Discovery
- Kevin L. McLaren, Ph.D., Esp., Of Counsel, Intellectual Property Department, Barnes & Thornburg LLP
- John Maki, President & CEO, Vicus Therapeutics
- Natalia Novac, MSc, Ph.D., Associate Manager, R&D Knowledge Management Operational Excellence, Merck Serono
- Aris Persidis, Ph.D., President, Biovista
- Ken Phelps, President & CEO, Camargo Pharmaceutical Services
- Andrew J. Rae, MBA, President, CEO and Director, iCo Therapeutics Inc
- Andrew Reaume, Ph.D., MBA, Chief Executive Officer, Melior Discovery
- Peter G. Ruminski, Ph.D., Executive Director, Center for World Health and Medicine, Saint Louis University.
For more information about the agenda, please visit http://www.drugrepositioningconference.com
# # #