Rogers, AR (PRWEB) June 29, 2011
Between diapers, playdates, and a never-ending schedule of birthday parties, it’s a wonder parents have time and energy to procreate. Throw in cliquish PTA queens, complex neighborhood politics, and the fine art of lawn maintenance, and you start to understand why suburban parents actually crave quiet desperation—so long as it comes with a nap.
Blacklisted from the PTA (Jupiter Press, imprint of Wyatt-MacKenzie, July 2011) is an irreverent look at motherhood and the modern family. Humorist Lela Davidson (http://leladavidson.com/) has captured the attention of magazine editors across the United States and Canada with these stories of family life. And now they’re coming to a bookstore near you.
In Blacklisted from the PTA Lela takes you to Mexican bars, the hockey rinks of St. Louis, ski slopes near Santa Fe, shopping in Dallas, and even introduces you to a few strippers—the novices on the playgrounds of New York City, and the pros in Vegas. Lela says what the rest of us are thinking. Her hilarious observations and subtle satire are always spot on. She’s not afraid to reveal her screw-ups, along with fleeting delusional moments when she honestly believes she is the best mom ever.
- Writer Mama author Christina Katz (http://christinakatz.com/) described the book as “Carrie Bradshaw meets Desperate Housewives.”
- iVillage (http://www.ivillage.com/) Chief Correspondent Kelly Wallace calls Blacklisted from the PTA laugh out loud funny and says it’s a “truly entertaining read for any exhausted mom or mom-to-be.”
- BlogHer’s (http://www.blogher.com/) Rita Arens says “Lela Davidson’s collection is witty and light. Perfect for red lights.”
- Humorist and Mouthy Housewife (http://www.mouthyhousewives.com/) Wendi Aarons says Blacklisted from the PTA is “Funny, witty, insightful and the perfect read when you’re hiding in a bathroom stall during a PTA meeting.”
- In the book’s foreword, Life’s Too Short to Fold Fitted Sheets author Lisa Quinn (http://livewellnetwork.com/Home-With-Lisa-Quinn/7624608) calls Davidson self-deprecating, honest, and funny. “Lela Davidson opens up so we can too. You’re going to love it."
Whether failing at cloth diaper origami or smug in knowledge that her children have never consumed a PopTart, Davidson assures parents they are not alone, and that it’s okay to laugh—at yourself, and at your kids. These are the stories of Everyparent—even if we don’t always tell them out loud. Each of these 62 essays can be read in under five minutes for a quick laugh—either with or at the author.
Lela Davidson is the Managing Editor of ParentingSquad.com and the Associate Editor of Peekaboo magazine. Her writing is featured regularly in family and parenting magazines throughout the country, and in Chicken Soup for the Soul: New Moms.
Blacklisted from the PTA is available in paperback from all major online retailers and in Kindle from Amazon.com - just in time to read at the pool!
Blacklisted from the PTA (Jupiter Press, imprint of Wyatt-MacKenzie, July 2011) 240 pages, $15.00, distributed internationally by INGRAM. For more information about this topic or to schedule an interview, please contact Lela Davidson at 479.366.4533 or ldavidson98(at)gmail(dot)com.