Chances of contracting skin cancer from photodamaged skin rise dramatically if the body doesn’t receive adequate nutritional support such as antioxidants.
Boulder, Colorado (PRWEB) June 29, 2011
In time for the 4th of July weekend, WellWise.org has complied a list of foods and nutrients that have been shown in research to protect against or reduce the damage caused by the sun’s UVA and UVB rays.
Recent news about sunscreen ingredients and new labeling requirements by the FDA have increased interest in other things that can provide protection from the aging and negative health effects caused by sun exposure. Nearly 70 percent of a person’s yearly exposure to UVB rays happen in the summer.
Most people know now that it is important to use sunscreen externally on skin when venturing outside for extended periods of time. However, the outer skin (epidermis) comprises only 20 percent of the skin, while the other 80 percent can be protected by some of common foods and supplements.
Overexposure to the sun is not the sole cause of skin cancer. Chances of contracting skin cancer from photodamaged skin rise dramatically if the body doesn’t receive adequate nutritional support such as antioxidants. Learning what foods and nutrients to ingest in adequate amounts can go a long way to having healthier skin and a longer life. Astaxanthin, for instance, has been demonstrated to protect the skin from UV rays that would otherwise damage skin DNA. WellWise’s list of sun protective foods can be found here.
http://www.wellwise.org is a nonprofit website whose mission is to provide unbiased, accurate and science-based information about healthy living and nutrition, and to provide a lively meeting place for consumers, integrative health professionals, nutritionists and researchers.