The most interesting development in the market is service provider solutions to distributing content throughout the home, says Norm Bogen, VP Digital Entertainment. Direct TV, for example, supplies a satellite STB as the ‘big box’ in the home’s media...
Scottsdale, AZ (PRWEB) July 11, 2011
Worldwide set top box revenue, as a whole, will decline slightly in 2011 over 2010, with Latin America and Middle East/Africa the only regions showing any increase in shipments. However, despite the general maturation of the market, IP set top box shipments are forecast to increase by over 1 million units in 2011 according to In-Stat (http://www.in-stat.com).
“The most interesting development in the market is service provider solutions to distributing content throughout the home,” says Norm Bogen, VP Digital Entertainment. “Direct TV, for example, supplies a satellite STB as the ‘big box’ in the home’s media center while providing IP STBs, now referred to as ‘thin IP clients’, for delivering content to different rooms in the home. This is certainly impacting the IP STB market in a positive way.”
Recent research findings include:
- North American IP set top box revenue will increase by 22% in 2011.
- In 2011, 17% of all set top boxes will include a DVR.
- In 2011, 72% of all satellite set top boxes in Europe will be high definition.
- Nearly 670,000 cable set top boxes will be shipped in Latin America in Q3’11.
Recent In-Stat research, 1Q'11 Set Top Box Database Update (#IN1104988STBD), covers the worldwide market for set top boxes. This research tracks:
- Set top box (STB) unit shipments, revenues, and average selling prices (ASPs) on a quarterly basis.
- Operator segmentation for cable, satellite, telco IPTV, and digital terrestrial TV.
- Regional segmentation for North America, Europe, Middle East/Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
- Functional segmentation for high definition (HD), standard definition (SD), and digital video recording (DVR).
For a free sample of the report and more information, please contact Elaine Potter: epotter(at)in-stat (dot)com or (480) 483-4441.
To purchase it online, please visit: http://www.instat.com/catalog/mmcatalogue.asp?id=639
The price is $6,995 (US).
Related In-Stat research:
Web-to-TV Hybrid Set Top Boxes in Six Regions
Saturation Impacts the Global Satellite Set Top Box Market
Global DTT Set Top Box Market: Riding the Digital Airwaves
Worldwide IP Set Top Boxes: Moving Beyond the Telco
The Worldwide Cable Set Top Box Market: Challenges and Opportunities
For more information, contact:
Norm Bogen, VP Research, Digital Entertainment
Elaine Potter, Marketing Coordinator
- Title: 1Q'11 Set Top Box Database Update
- Service: Set Top Box Database
- Product Number: IN1104988STBD
- Publication Date: July 2011
- Report Size: 34 Tables
- Price: $6,995 U.S. Dollars
- Members Only Access: HTML and Excel
- Contact a Sales Representative
Sign up to receive email Market Alerts on this, and related topics
In-Stat’s market intelligence combines technical, market and end-user research and database models to analyze the Mobile Internet and Digital Entertainment ecosystems. Our insights are derived from a deep understanding of technology impacts, nearly 30 years of history in research and consulting, and direct relationships with leading players in each of our core markets. In-Stat provides its research through reports, annual subscriptions, consulting and advisory services to inform critical decisions. Technology vendors, equipment manufacturers, service providers and media companies worldwide rely on In-Stat to support critical business, product and technology decisions.