The 2011 Opening of School Checklist is the result of over 20 years experience as a principal and assistant principal combined with suggestions of other administrators across the country.
Alexandria, VA (PRWEB) July 18, 2011
As millions of students take up their summer activities, hundreds of thousands of school administrators are preparing for the opening of school in the fall. Just ASK Publications & Professional Development today announced the release of its 7th annual Opening of School Checklist for school administrators via its Just for the ASKing! e-newsletter. Principals and assistant principals have to think about the needs of students, teachers, support staff, and parents as the school year begins and unfolds.
Highlights from this year’s checklist include:
Focus on Teaching Staff (34 suggestions)
- Make personal calls to new teachers to invite them to new teacher orientation and answer any questions
- Introduce the Common Core Standards and engage staff in exploring how they are similar to and different from state and district standards of learning
Focus on Students (21 suggestions)
- Arrange for any necessary translations of information for non-English speaking students and their families
- Contact feeder schools to determine which students may need special support or attention
Focus on Parents (11 suggestions)
- Arrange for PTA representatives to contact new families and welcome them to the community
- Publish/distribute/post on school website a school year calendar with information about school events, report card distribution, parent meetings etc.
Focus on the Building (15 suggestions)
- Work with technology support staff to assure proper function of all available technology
- Make sure teachers’ lounges, restrooms, workrooms are readied before staff returns (cleaned, stocked, and inviting)
Miscellaneous (9 suggestions)
- Devise alternate bell schedules (late openings, early closings, etc.)
- Establish dates for school pictures
“The 2011 Opening of School Checklist is the result of over 20 years experience as a principal and assistant principal combined with the suggestions of other administrators across the country,” said Bruce Oliver, author of the checklist. “Each year I am contacted by principals offering ideas that would useful in preparing for the opening of school.”
The 2011 Opening of School Checklist can be downloaded at:
Just ASK Publications & Professional Development (http://www.justaskpublications.com) is a leading provider of products and professional development for educators in formats that facilitate a shared understanding and use of best practice in teaching, learning and leading in classrooms, schools, and districts in the 21st century. Headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, Just ASK is the trusted choice of prominent school districts including: Orange County Public Schools, Orlando, Florida; Fairfax County Public Schools, Virginia; Las Cruces Public Schools, New Mexico; Jeffco Public Schools, Golden, Colorado, Klein ISD, Texas, the Archdiocese of Los Angeles Schools, California, and many others.