San Francisco (PRWEB) July 22, 2011
Metacafe today unveiled the findings of its annual sponsored study on online video consumption, revealing that television is no longer the primary entertainment device for males aged 18-34 (M18-34). Sixty-eight percent of M18-34 state that the PC/laptop is the entertainment device they “can’t live without” – beating out both the television (53 percent) and video game consoles (39 percent). The research was conducted by Frank N. Magid Associates as part of the Magid Media Futures™ 2011 study, which focuses on consumer behavior and preferences across media and technology platforms.
“Today’s young male consumers are entertainment enthusiasts and influencers who live online and consider their laptop or PC the center of their universe,” said Erick Hachenburg, CEO of Metacafe. “For those of us in the content business, this means we need to deliver an experience that feeds this voracious appetite for short-form video entertainment. For brand advertisers, this means that the young male audience is getting harder and harder to reach if online isn’t a primary part of media plans.”
The research also provided broader insights into what consumers are watching online and how they’re accessing digital entertainment content. Key findings include:
- 68% of M18-34 state that the PC/laptop is the entertainment device they “can’t live without” – beating out both the television 53% and video game consoles 39%.
- 39% of M18-34 online video viewers consider the laptop/PC their primary medium for entertainment, compared to 28% citing the television and 14% citing a video game console.
- Online video viewership overall continues to surge, with 23% of survey respondents watching daily, compared to 13% in 2010.
- M18-34 viewers watch 7.8 hours of online video weekly, compared to 5.6 hours per week among all viewers ages 8 to 64.
- M18-34 viewers expect to watch 10% more online video in the next 12 months, as compared to their current viewing behavior.
- 66% of online video viewers regularly watch premium short-form content, including music videos, movies trailers/clips, TV preview/clips, sports highlights, video game content, comedy sketches, and Web originals.
- 24% of online video viewers watch content on a mobile device, such as mobile phone or wireless tablet.
- 25% of online video viewers access the Internet through their TV set, with an additional 34% also interested in doing so.
“Online video is an increasingly important part of the overall entertainment mix for consumers – especially young male influencers,” said Mike Vorhaus, president of Magid Advisors. “We are in the middle of a fundamental change – from a culture in which the television set and TV programming are the de facto standard to one in which computing devices and Internet programming are ever more important for 18- to 34-year olds and the advertisers who speak to them.”
This research is part of the Magid Media FuturesTM Practice, which surveys consumers annually to identify trends and help clients implement product and marketing strategies that address them. The online video portion of the 2011 study was sponsored by Metacafe. A complete summary of the online video portion of the Magid Media Futures™ 2011 is available for download on the Magid site. The study was conducted in May 2011.
About Metacafe – The Video Entertainment Engine
Metacafe is the first entertainment destination solely dedicated to showcasing the best videos from the world of Movies, Video Games, Sports, Music and TV. Metacafe is the trusted source that keeps millions of viewers plugged into their entertainment passions every day. The company connects marquee brand advertisers with their target consumers via close association with the most popular entertainment content on the Web. Metacafe attracts more than 15 million unique monthly U.S. viewers . The privately held company is headquartered in San Francisco, with offices in New York City, Los Angeles, London and Tel Aviv. For more information – and millions of entertaining videos – visit http://www.metacafe.com.
About Frank N. Magid Associates
Frank N. Magid Associates, the world leader in research-based consultation, applies the most rigorous research methods available to study behaviors, attitudes and intentions of your audience. Our knowledge base is substantive, encompassing thousands of research studies and consultation engagements. Founded in 1957, Frank N. Magid Associates has provided strategic insight and direction for clients in 37 countries around the world. We have developed an international reputation for excellence that spans multiple industries. Our 350 experienced professionals and operations staff serve clients around the world from headquarters in Minneapolis, Minnesota and offices in New York, Los Angeles and Marion, Iowa. More information is available at http://www.magid.com.
Suzi Owens for Metacafe: sowens(at)blancandotus(dot)com, 415.856.5125