According to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, last year 4, 872 California brush fires claimed 27,973 acres across the state.
Vista, California (PRWEB) July 29, 2011
Alta Vista Insurance, a locally based California insurance agency, proactively looks for ways in which they can keep their clients educated and protected against potential risk exposures.
With brush fires an unfortunate but common occurrence during the warmer summer months, it’s time to consider the lurking dangers California weather presents. Warm summer afternoons, when the air is still and dry, are natural catalysts for California brush fires. So as a local homeowner, what can be done to protect your property from potential fire damage?
- Design and landscape your home with wildfire safety in mind; choose plants that are less flammable and are better at containing fires rather than fueling them. Hardwood trees, for example, are better than pines and firs.
- Remove any vines that are growing on the side of the home; clear all branches and shrubs that fall within a 15 foot radius of stovepipes or chimney outlets.
- Stack any firewood or scrap wood on the property at least 10 feet away from the home; all other combustibles should be at least 20 feet away.
- Store gasoline and other flammable materials in approved safety cans away from the base of any property structures and in a safe location.
- Most importantly, stay up-to-date on your current California home insurance coverage; understanding what your specific policy does or does not offer is vital to ensuring your property is receiving the protection it needs. Standard home insurance plans, will cover the structure of your home, liability, replacement costs, living expenses in the event of a serious disaster as well as coverage for personal possessions; up to a set limit.
According to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, last year 4, 872California brush fires claimed 27,973 acres across the state. Although it’s unpredictable as to when a wildfire may strike, how far the damages may spread or what direction the wind may carry the flames; one thing is for certain—protecting one’s home from the elements should always remain a top priority.
About Alta Vista Insurance Agency:
Established in 1927, Alta Vista Insurance is a full service Vista insurance agency dedicated to providing superior California insurance policies. As an independent insurance brokerage, Alta Vista Insurance has access to a quality assortment of insurance carriers, allowing the agency to offer the best rates throughout California; as well as ensures that they can provide the best CA insurance options available. Alta Vista Insurance has operated as a California insurance agency for over 80 years, with a strong belief in treating all clients with respect and unmatched customer service they deserve. Selecting a CA insurance policy can be an overwhelming task, that’s why Alta Vista Insurance wants you to feel comfortable in the agency’s ability to match you with the best plan possible.