“With vCat 7.0 businesses will be able to know how well their mobile applications will work in the office, a coffee shop, or an underground subway – from the convenience of their desktop – before application deployment ... "
Philadelphia, PA (PRWEB) August 24, 2011
Shunra, the leading authority in application performance engineering solutions, announced today the upcoming release of vCat™ 7.0, a Windows-based network emulation software solution. Along with the August release of PerformanceSuite™ 7.0 and NetworkCatcher™ 7.0, the newest version of vCat™ continues Shunra’s commitment to mobile application performance testing.
vCat™ 7.0 transforms a PC into a real-world Wide Area Network (WAN) test environment. The solution’s newest version tests the quality of network performance for users, under a variety of current and potential network conditions directly from the desktop.
“Mobile users expect the same performance out of their mobile browsing experience as they do from their desktop or laptop, and as such, every second of delay results in unacceptable application or site abandonments. It is therefore essential that application development keep pace with user expectations for performance,” Shunra COO Bill Varga said. “With vCat 7.0 businesses will be able to know how well their mobile applications will work in the office, a coffee shop, or an underground subway – from the convenience of their desktop – before application deployment, and they will receive specific guidance on how to optimize performance, thus avoiding costly performance issues in production.”
Among the significant updates to the solution are enhancements designed to more accurately recreate real-world network conditions for mobile testing. For example, vCat 7.0 enables engineers and testers to account for the variability of bandwidth availability commonly experienced in Mobile and Web networks. In addition, testers can emulate the high latency conditions that effect mobile services and are the primary cause of poor performance.
vCat 7.0 also features enhancements to improve the analysis and optimization of application performance. vCat’s Web and Mobile analysis capabilities allow performance to be analyzed from a business process perspective, so organizations can more quickly pinpoint the root cause of potential performance bottlenecks. In addition, the latest release automatically delivers specific, customized performance optimization suggestions based on proprietary and proven rulesets.
vCat 7.0 also features an improved integration with existing PerformanceSuite™ solutions, including the recently enhanced NetworkCatcher™ 7.0, allowing users to capture and incorporate real-world network conditions into their application performance testing efforts.
New and enhanced features of vCat 7.0 include:
- HTTP Analysis – Shunra’s Web and Mobile Analysis capabilities provide key insight into transaction response times, enabling fast analysis and the ability to quickly identify areas for optimization.
- Optimization Recommendations – vCat 7.0 leverages the same rulesets available in PerformanceSuite 7.0 to deliver customized and specific recommendations for optimizing the performance of Mobile and Web applications. These recommendations have been tested and proven to improve performance by over 40%.
- Enhanced Bandwidth Emulation – vCat 7.0 now emulates bandwidths up to 100mbps and accounts for both available (allocated) bandwidth and variability in available bandwidth, enabling more precise emulation of Mobile and Web network conditions.
- Mobile-specific Emulation – vCat 7.0 offers improved support for mobile-specific application performance testing with a library of pre-defined mobile emulation parameters based on typical and worst case mobile network conditions.
- Mobile Hot Spot – The newest version of vCat is able to test mobile application performance from a WiFi-connected smartphone or tablet as well as a local area connection.
Shunra is the industry-recognized authority in Application Performance Engineering (APE) and a pioneer in WAN Emulation. Shunra's customers include 75 of the Fortune 100 with some of the most complex and sophisticated networks in the world. Shunra's APE solutions discover, predict, emulate and analyze the performance of applications over WAN, Web, Mobile and Cloud networks. Shunra delivers dramatic cost savings through customized performance insight, enabling pre-deployment and post-production remediation and optimization. Customers include Apple, AT&T, Bank of America, Best Buy, Boeing, Cisco Systems, Citibank, eBay, FedEx, GE, IBM, ING Direct, Intel, Marriott, MasterCard, McDonalds, Merrill Lynch, Motorola, Oracle, Pepsi, Pfizer, Siemens, Target, Thomson Reuters, Verizon, Walt Disney and the U.S. Federal Reserve Bank. Shunra is headquartered in Philadelphia and privately held.