Reed Job Index stays at 122
(PRWEB) September 07, 2011
This is a twenty per cent rise in year on year employer demand, with a fifth more jobs available now than in August twelve months ago. New job numbers have increased 22% from when the index began in December 2009 when the baseline was set at 100, according to the report compiled from over 8,000 organisations by the UK’s leading recruitment site reed.co.uk
Salaries for new jobs fell back across the board however, with the Reed Job Index down two points (two per cent) in August compared to July, to read 97. This means that salaries for new jobs are three per cent lower now in real terms than they were in December 2009.
New job demand dropped back across a range of job sectors from financial services to manufacturing. Consumer-facing sectors saw the largest falls - with retail jobs dropping by 16 index points from July’s record high. Demand for new Public Sector staff slipped back again to nearly half its level when the Index began.
However rising demand for new workers in other job sectors balanced the falls. Core job areas from qualified accountants and purchasing professionals to administrative, marketing jobs, media, digital and creative staff all experienced rising demand.
Across the UK the picture was also mixed with demand for new staff in London, the North East, Yorkshire & Humberside, the West Midlands and Scotland on the up. Northern Ireland bounced back in August with an impressive 15 point rise compared with July. While demand remained flat in the South East, falls were experienced in East Anglia, the East Midlands, the North West and the South West of England.
Martin Warnes, Managing Director of reed.co.uk, comments on the Reed Job Index for August:
“Even though the jobs market is flat, our figures indicate that there are a fifth more new jobs available now than there were 12 months ago. Employers are able to attract the people they need and are investing in the future with skilled staff such as qualified accountants, purchasing professionals and marketers.
For further information (including exclusive quotes, in-depth statistics and trend data) please contact Katy Nicholson for Reed at katynicholson88(at)googlemail(dot)com or call 07712 873780
Dragon Court, 28 Macklin Street, London, WC2B 5LX
NOTES FOR EDITORS
- Each month the Reed Job Index tracks the number of new job opportunities and the salaries on offer compared to the previous month and against a baseline of 100 set in December last year. The Reed Job Index is based on data from the UK’s largest job board, reed.co.uk, which every day lists over 90,000 job opportunities from 8,000 recruiters across 37 career sectors throughout the UK.
- The Reed Job Index is compiled by data drawn from on-line job vacancies and job-seeker activity on reed.co.uk.
- reed.co.uk is the UK’s largest commercial job board, with over 90,000 job opportunities from more than 8,000 recruiters at any one time.
- Independent measurement by Hitwise verifies that reed.co.uk has the highest market share of visits for any commercial job board in the UK
- reed.co.uk is part of Reed Global, the international recruitment group of companies
# # #