Volusion CDN powered by Akamai is going to create a huge competitive advantage for our merchants. They will experience faster load times and enhanced SEO, both critical components for a successful site.
Austin, TX (PRWEB) September 12, 2011
Volusion, the leading provider of shopping cart software and services for online merchants, today announced the release of the Volusion CDN, powered by Akamai for more than 30,000 merchants. Volusion is leveraging the global platform and services of industry leader Akamai Technologies, Inc. to bring its customers the same technology that 93 of the top 100 online U.S. retailers use to improve their customers’ online shopping experience.
How does Volusion CDN work?
Leveraging the intelligence of the Akamai Internet platform, Volusion merchants’ site content can be distributed across more than 95,000 servers in 72 countries around the globe. When an online shopper visits a store, the content will be delivered from an Akamai server close to their current location and designed to deliver the content via the fastest, most reliable path. This site acceleration, powered by Akamai, improves the speed of online stores up to 60 percent*, making Volusion stores more competitive than ever. In addition site speed is now a factor in how well sites rank in Google search results, making this a critical addition for conversions.
What are the benefits?
While Volusion CDN has numerous benefits, the primary benefit comes down to one thing: faster page loads for shoppers. The performance improvements for Volusion storefronts are made possible by two key design features:
- Global Proximity: Shoppers visiting Volusion stores will receive site content directly from a server that is local to them. This means that a shopper in New York will receive content from a server near or within New York, a shopper in London will receive content from a server near or within London, and so forth. By eliminating long routes, shoppers are expected to experience faster connections to Volusion online stores.
- Abundant Network Routes: Volusion stores’ site content is now mirrored from the Volusion datacenter across a globally-distributed intelligent Internet platform. If any single server in the platform’s infrastructure, or even the broader Internet backbone, has more load than desirable, the system is designed to automatically reroute traffic to the next closest server with the highest availability and performance. This system design is expected to route shoppers around congestion, latency and hardware failures.
Why is site speed so important?
- Enhanced SEO: Google and other major search engines have announced that site speed is a factor for how pages rank in search engines. When Volusion CDN is enabled, participating stores’ pages should have an additional advantage for search engine rankings.
- Improved User Experience: Shoppers prefer faster sites over slower ones, so having a site that loads quickly creates an improved shopping experience. The goal behind Volusion’s latest addition is to keep customers on a Volusion store longer while helping them visit more pages.
- Uptime Protection: Volusion stores’ uptime is increased with content distributed across a global platform. This is expected to provide a competitive advantage for over 30,000 merchants using Volusion’s software.
“Volusion CDN powered by Akamai is going to create a huge competitive advantage for our merchants,” said Clay Olivier, Volusion CEO. “They will experience faster load times and enhanced SEO, both critical components for a successful site. We are pleased to extend the powerful Akamai technology to our customers in time for the holiday selling season."
“Our team has worked diligently with Akamai on this project to ensure the highest level of performance from the Volusion CDN,” said Jason Woosley, Volusion Vice President of Product Development. “Volusion merchants will now experience the same technology that has helped other ecommerce giants keep traffic on their site and generate more sales.”
“Working with organizations such as Volusion allows Akamai to extend the benefits of its platform to an ever wider group of users,” explained Margaret Kuchler, senior manager, Industry Marketing, Akamai. “It’s satisfying to see online merchants of all sizes, and their customers, benefitting from the acceleration services offered by Akamai.”
Volusion is the leader in ecommerce solutions for online businesses. For more than a decade, tens of thousands of companies from small businesses to industry leaders like 3M, US Open, Ansel Adams, Nalgene, Oregon Ducks and Motorola have used Volusion to successfully sell online. For more information about Volusion, please visit http://www.volusion.com.
Akamai® provides market-leading, cloud-based services for optimizing Web and mobile content and applications, online HD video, and secure e-commerce. Combining highly-distributed, energy-efficient computing with intelligent software, Akamai’s global platform is transforming the cloud into a more viable place to inform, entertain, advertise, transact and collaborate. To learn how the world’s leading enterprises are optimizing their business in the cloud, please visit http://www.akamai.com and follow @Akamai on Twitter.
*Statement based on usability studies of CDN in the “off” and “on” state.