Washington, DC (PRWEB) September 09, 2011
Later this month, WPL Publishing will sponsor a webinar to help various professionals understand and address implied covenants and obligations in construction contracts.
Implied obligations may arise under law or in equity when design or construction agreements are executed. These implied obligations should be carefully considered by all parties in a construction project. Many times, these implied obligations apply because the parties have failed to enter into specific contractual provisions that might supersede certain implied obligations. The 90-minute webinar, entitled “Implied Covenants & Obligations in Construction Contracts,” is scheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 21, 2011, at 1:00 p.m. To register, visit http://tinyurl.com/3nxp4o4.
During the webinar, the following 12 implied obligations will be discussed:
- Implied warranty of plans and specifications.
- Implied duty of good faith and fair dealing.
- Implied duty to share material information.
- Implied duty to provide access, duty to coordinate and duty not to interfere.
- Implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or habitability.
- Implied warranty of workmanship.
- Implied Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) warranty of merchantability.
- Implied UCC warranty of fitness for a particular purpose.
- Implied standard of care.
- Implied duty to construct according to the plans and specifications.
- Implied duty to construct according to legal requirements such as building codes, ordinances, consent decrees and regulations.
- Implied duty to complete the work or services in a reasonable time and for a reasonable price.
Addressing webinar attendees will be Bryan Jackson and Robert “Mike” Cathcart of Allen Matkins Leck Gamble Mallory & Natsis LLP. Since 1990, Jackson has served as an adjunct professor at the University of Southern California (USC). In 2008, Bryan taught the “Green Building and Sustainable Construction” course for the USC Master of Real Estate Development program. Cathcart has served as a construction lawyer in federal and state courts in California as well as several other jurisdictions for specific matters, including domestic and international controversies involving Pacific Rim developers, contractors, and design professionals.
Following their presentations, there will be an interactive 10-to-15 minute question-and-answer session addressing relevant topics.
Webinar tuition is based on location, not number of participants, so each registration site can have multiple participants for one low price. To register, visit http://tinyurl.com/3nxp4o4.
WPL Publishing Co., Inc. produces three construction newsletters: Construction Claims Advisor (http://www.constructionclaims.com), Green Building Insider (http://www.greenbuildinginsider.com), and Construction Advisor Today (http://www.constructionadvisortoday.com). The company also hosts webinar series on topics relevant to the construction industry. WPL is on Twitter at CAT_Online.