A Datsun valued at $1 million will be travelling from London to Cape Town to raise funds and awareness on behalf of under-privileged children in India & South Africa

Share Article

The 1972 Datsun 240Z will carry logos on behalf of some of the worlds largest and smallest companies – each will pay to have their logo displayed on the bodywork of the car which will carry their brands from London to Cape Town covering 13,500 km of treacherous terrain as part of the 2012 London to Cape Town rally. The team have set themselves an ambitious target of raising $1m in donations and sponsorship on behalf of two children’s charities, Right Now Foundation and Starfish Greathearts Foundation.

The car (http://www.milliondollardatsun.com) will be driven by Alex Thistlethwayte and David Hiscox, amateurs in every sense of the word – neither has any motor racing experience and both are determined not to engage in any form of personal preparation ahead of the marathon event. This does not however mean that they are not entirely convinced of putting up a good performance in the race and have committed to refund sponsors donations and replace them with their own personal donations (up to a maximum of $1 million) if they do not complete the course.

Preparation of the car (currently known as the “ugly one”) for the event has been undertaken by Rally Preparation Services (RPS) of Witney. Neither Hiscox nor Thistlethwayte are mechanically capable, beyond the ability to re-fuel the car, and are therefore entirely dependant upon the quality of preparation at RPS.

The rally leaves London on January 1st 2012 and will continue for 13,500 km until finally reaching Cape Town on Jan 31st 2012.

All donations and sponsorship will be paid to Right Now Foundation who will use 75% of the amount to fund their works in India and will distribute to remaining 25% to Starfish Greathearts Foundation. Rally related costs will not be deducted from donations / sponsorship as Thistlethwayte and Hiscox will be funding these personally.

Hiscox and Thistlethwayte genuinely anticipate finishing the rally in first place. They are however somewhat delusional.

Notes to Editors:

For any further information please visit http://www.milliondollardatsun.com or contact Alex Thistlethwayte on 07870 154858, David Hiscox on 07882 516420 or email press(at)milliondollardatsun(dot)com.

The Right Now Foundation works with under privileged children in South East India and provides a happy home environment for children in danger, orphaned children and children suffering from HIV. Further information can be found at http://www.rightnow.org.uk.

Starfish Greathearts Foundation is an international development charity, aiming to bring life, hope and opportunity to orphaned and vulnerable children in South Africa. Further information can be found at http://www.starfishcharity.org.

###

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Alex Thistlethwayte

David Hiscox

07882516420
Visit website