(PRWEB UK) 13 September 2011
Tombs and headstones are among humankind’s oldest, most emotive and enduring objects, but they provide only the most basic information about the deceased and require those left behind to travel hours and often days to pay homage. A Palo Alto-based startup, I-POSTMORTEM, today launched two online services – I-MEMORIAL.com and I-TOMB.net – that provide a new, highly secure digital options for creating and celebrating legacies that are accessible forever from anywhere in the world.
IMemorial.com allows a person to record their life story over time while they are alive, leave posthumous messages, videos and songs for loved ones and send personal instructions for delivery after their passing. Once the person is deceased, his or her I-MEMORIAL.com site is automatically transitioned to I-TOMB.net, where it is preserved for generations and accessible worldwide from any Internet connection, including mobile devices later in 2011.
I-MEMORIAL.com includes three content categories:
- My Memorial, where users can use text, audio and video to tell the story of their lives.
- My Messages, where users can leave messages to family, friends, and other people. These messages are made accessible after their passing only to those who are designated and can’t be downloaded for security purposes. Personal messages also can be sent at specific delivery times in the future, such as a father’s birthday wishes or when his son turns 21.
- My Last Wishes, where users can leave instructions on funeral arrangements, information on where important printed or digital documents are stored as well as passwords to personal, financial, business and social media accounts. Last wishes are communicated to designated loved ones and associates immediately upon passing. This feature provides users with the peace of mind that their survivors will have all of the information and instructions available exactly when they need them.
“The land available for cemeteries becomes more scarce with each generation, while in some cultures, 30 percent of people now choose cremation,” said Jacques Mechelany, I-POSTMORTEM CEO. “Those two trends, combined with the geographic and other limitations of traditional memorials, are prompting a growing number of people to look for new ways to preserve their legacy and remember their loved ones. We founded I-POSTMORTEM to meet those needs by providing them with convenient, cost-effective and financially sound pair of services for preserving their wishes and memories forever.”
Contact: Jim Shaughnessy, jimhshaughnessy(at)gmail(dot)com, +44 7852923326
Please note: Interviews and product trials available on request.
Notes to editors
1. The I-TOMB.net service gives those who have lost a loved one the opportunity to create a multimedia memorial that can be visited by friends and family at any time from anywhere in the world. I-TOMB.net enables the living to create a virtual tribute through a combination of narrative, video, audio and photos. All I-TOMB information is stored securely online in The World Virtual Cemetery along with others that have been created worldwide.
2. I-TOMB content categories include:
- Tools to create the life story and profile of the departed.
- Funeral Ornaments, including virtual candles, virtual flowers and virtual incense, for the deceased. Each Funeral Ornament contains the visitor’s name and date of passing.
- Tributes, which include private messages and comments about the deceased, pictures, recorded video messages and music.
3. Unlike funeral homes’ online guest books and other memorial and ancestry sites, I-MEMORIAL.com and I-TOMB.net are designed to be permanent. I-POSTMORTEM uses an insurance company business model, where the living pay premiums that are sufficient to fund operations indefinitely.
4. As with I-MEMORIAL.net, creators have access to a digital lockbox where they can preserve a wide variety of content – such as personal videos from birthday parties – and determine who can access it. For both services, I-POSTMORTEM provides a convenient framework that assists with securing permission to use copyrighted material, such as favorite songs.
5. All I-MEMORIAL.com and I-TOMB.net content is securely and reliably stored in Switzerland, a neutral country chosen for its international appeal, security and stability, at SafeHOST, I-POSTMORTEM’s strategic partner. SafeHOST encrypts all I-POSTMORTEM content using the same processes that it provides for its clients in industries such as banking and telecom.
6. I-MEMORIAL.com and I-TOMB.net are initially available in 16 languages and 35 countries. Pricing options include an annual US$50 fee for each individual I-TOMB.net account and an annual US$120 fee for each individual I-MEMORIAL.com account. For more information about availability, pricing and features, visit http://www.I-TOMB.net and http://www.I-MEMORIAL.com.