Washington, DC (PRWEB) September 22, 2011
Atlantic Information Services, Inc., publisher of Inside Health Insurance Exchanges, Health Plan Week and AIS’s Health Reform Week, is pleased to announce its October 5 webinar, The Major Trend to Self-Funding: New Opportunities and Pitfalls for Insurers and Employers. See webinar details at http://aishealth.com/marketplace/c1m38_100511.
Self-insured plans are subject to fewer regulatory requirements under the reform law. And while self-funding also offers greater plan-design flexibility and cost savings for employers, it comes with serious financial risk as well as a host of ERISA-related rules. For health insurers, self-funding could reduce per-member operating profit. Although administrative services only (ASO) members might be less profitable on the surface, returns on capital can be very high. There also is less financial risk and uncertainty associated with members covered by a self-insured employer. And that could create new plan-design opportunities for health insurers.
During the webinar, industry experts will provide practical insight on:
- Why health insurers should limit the size of employers they are willing to cover on a self-insured basis.
- What the opportunities are for health plans in this space.
- How health plans can determine an employer’s ability to pay its own medical bills.
- What types of businesses should consider self-funding and which ones are not good targets.
- How employers should weigh the risks, benefits and costs associated with stop-loss insurance coverage.
- Why some state regulators want HHS to amend its model stop-loss coverage law to prohibit the sale to small employers.
- Why certain provisions of the reform law, such as the new rating bands and essential benefits, will make self-funding even more attractive for some employers.
- How the elimination of annual and lifetime maximums, as required under the reform law, will increase claim variability and could result in higher premiums for stop-loss coverage.
- How lower premium taxes could mean big savings for employers that self-fund.
After a 60-minute fast-paced discussion, a concluding 30-minute question-and-answer session will allow webinar participants to pose individual questions to the speakers. Visit http://aishealth.com/marketplace/c1m38_100511#speakers to learn more about the speakers:
- John Hickman, Esq., head of Health & Welfare Benefits in the Employee Benefits and Executive Compensation Group at the law firm Alston & Bird, LLP in Atlanta.
- David Raccagni, Vice President of Marketing and Strategy for CIGNA Corp.'s Select business segment, which serves smaller employer groups
Visit http://aishealth.com/marketplace/c1m38_100511 for more details and registration information.
AIS develops highly targeted news, data and strategies for managers in hospitals, health plans, medical group practices, pharmaceutical companies and other health care organizations. Learn more at http://www.AISHealth.com.
# # #