Grand Rapids, MI (PRWEB) September 25, 2011
School is in session and while children are busy making their way to their learning destination, drivers should be busy brushing up on awareness. Whether you have a child in school or not, all drivers are responsible for child safety at bus stops, driveways and school zones.
“We want drivers to be as safe as possible, especially during the school year” says Eric Kappler, Foremost Assistant Vice President of Auto Product. “Awareness while driving is always important. When school is in session, there are laws that should be heeded and extra care taken during your morning or afternoon commute.”
As school is resuming, students from kindergarten to high school will arrive at school using transportation ranging from school buses and cars, to walking or biking. Foremost offers some helpful tips to sharpen drivers’ awareness during the school year.
- When a school bus is stopped, lights are flashing red and STOP signs are extended, all traffic from both directions must stop.
- Divided highways are the only exception to passing a school bus in oncoming lanes if the median is over five feet wide or has a raised, impassable divider.
- If a school bus has yellow flashing lights, it is preparing to stop. This alerts drivers to slow down and be prepared to stop.
- All drivers should be alert for children around drive-ways and bus stops. Slow down and observe posted speed limits.
- Watch for children walking or biking to school when leaving your garage or backing out of a driveway.
- Keep your eyes on the road. The school year brings many new distractions for drivers and staying alert helps keep everyone safe.
- Many student drivers will be joining you on the road for your morning or afternoon commute. Drive defensively and safely.
Driving awareness is important all year around and Foremost wants you to be safe wherever the road takes you. To learn more about Foremost products or share feedback, visit http://www.Foremost.com, our blog http://blog.foremost.com, our Facebook page http://www.Facebook.com/ForemostInsurance or our Twitter page at http://www.Twitter.com/Foremost.
A part of the Farmers Insurance Group of Companies®, Foremost Insurance Group ("Foremost") has been a leader in personal lines insurance since 1952. Foremost is headquartered in Caledonia, Michigan. Farmers is a trade name and may refer to Farmers Group, Inc. or the Farmers Exchanges, as the case may be. Farmers Group, Inc., a management and holding company, along with its subsidiaries, is wholly owned by the Zurich Financial Services Group. The Farmers Exchanges are three reciprocal insurers (Farmers Insurance Exchange, Fire Insurance Exchange and Truck Insurance Exchange), including their subsidiaries and affiliates, owned by their policyholders, and managed by Farmers Group, Inc. and its subsidiaries. For more information about Farmers, visit http://www.Farmers.com.
# # #