(PRWEB) September 30, 2011
ReversePhoneDirectory.com warns consumers to be cautious of telephone sales pitches for pre-paid or special magazine subscription deals. Impulse purchases made over the phone could leave unsuspecting victims paying for years.
Thousands of consumers buy magazine subscriptions from legitimate magazine sales people every year, but some unsuspecting consumers are tricked by paying the unscrupulous scammers who take advantage of consumer's trust. Some salespeople use the information they obtain over the phone to apply towards outrageously priced magazine subscriptions due to hidden fees, and others steal credit card information to steal from unsuspecting victim's bank accounts.
ReversePhoneDirectory.com says consumers should beware callers that approach with some of the following techniques:
- Salespeople who encourage the consumer to buy without giving the total costs.
- Salespeople who say that magazines are pre-paid or free and that they are taking credit card information only for "processing" fees.
- Salespeople who don't immediately identify themselves and the company they work for. They lead the consumer to believe they work for magazine publishers but never identify themselves.
ReversePhoneDirectory.com offers the following tips to detect and prevent targets from falling victim to this scam:
- Ask questions. How long does the subscription last? How the billing be done? How many magazines are included in the subscription? Be sure to get the answers to the question in writing.
- Treat all unsolicited phone calls with skepticism. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- When such phone calls are received, be sure to record the 10-digit phone number that comes up on the Caller ID. Use ReversePhoneDirectory.com to reverse lookup the 10-digit number to find information about the owner of the phone number, and any public records associated with this number.
- Never give personal information over the phone. Any phone calls claiming to be salespeople that request personal information such as credit card numbers should be recorded and reported to Microsoft and the Better Business Bureau.
ReversePhoneDirectory.com provides access to the most accurate and up-to-date public records to assist with daily searches for information about people and businesses. Reverse phone Directory is committed to helping people live better during technologically advanced times, believing that information is a powerful currency and people across the country should have easy access to information about everything and everyone they come in contact with.