"You've always wanted a minivan, but they are only cool if you win one"
Callaway Gardens Pine Mtn, GA (PRWEB) September 30, 2011
The SteepleChase at Callaway Gardens is the premier sporting event of the year! Many volunteers start planning this event 8 months before the first weekend in November arrives. Friday night kicks off the weekend with the Chaser's Eve Ball, which is a great way to prep yourself for Saturday's Festivities.
Race Day comes early, for those attending Chaser's Eve, but cures one's ailments are bountiful. Tailgating with friends, Jack Russell Races, SOV Hat Contest, Culinary Tastings, a gorgeous location, and of course watching the Horses. But the most exciting event of the day is when the winner of the SteepleChase Raffle is announced. In 2008, the raffle winner was Reynolds Bickerstaff, this year's raffle chair, who won an Acura TL
Reynolds' birthday is on Halloween, and if you count back 3 years, it was on a Friday. This particular year he turned 30 and thanks to many friends in attendance, they made sure the night didn't end early. Saturday comes too early for most attending the race, but when you pass over the mountain on HWY 27, you know it's STEEPLECHASE TIME!!! A guest recounts the 2008 Race. "We arrived around 11:00 am to our terrace box, but Reynolds did not emerge from the van until almost noon". "By 2 pm he was able to manage the first drink for the day and appeared to be on the road to recovery". "Then, announced over the loud speaker we hear, Reynolds Bickerstaff". Bickerstaff remembers, "Turning to my friend Stan, I asked why they were announcing my name, and he told me I had just won a car. I've never cured a hangover that quickly before and now I was operating at 450%. What a great birthday weekend!"
This experience inspired Bickerstaff to chair this years raffle committee and design the greatest raffle ticket ever. Here are the Top Ten Reasons why race fans should consider purchasing a ticket this year.
10. "Because your wife deserves new car!"
9. "You are not going to pay more than $100 for your 16 year old's 1st car!"
8. "You miss that new car smell!"
7. "You've always wanted a minivan, but they are only cool if you win one!"
6. "2 Scions are better than 1!"
5. "You'll Love the Jay Way! We Love It!"
4. "Really...........It's for the Arts!"
3. "You can't buy this Scratch Off Ticket at a Gas Station!"
2. "When someone asks you, "how do you like your new car?" you can tell them you won it!"
1. "REYNOLDS BICKERSTAFF IS CHAIRING THE COMMITTEE AND IS NOT ELIGIBLE TO WIN THIS YEAR!"
Come out and support the arts this year on November 5th, at Callaway Gardens. I hope to see you at the race.