Over Half of UK Daters would Cancel Valentine’s Day - V End is Nigh?

Share Article

Over 4,900 members of the free online dating website, Smooch.com, were asked if they would cancel Valentine’s Day, to which a surprising 54% said they would if they could. In contrast, just 46% wanted to preserve the special day.

Free Dating won't save Valentine's day

Respondents with a ‘very high salary’ were the most likely (60%) to cancel Valentine’s Day.

Whether you’re single, dating or married, Valentine’s Day is a minefield of complex decisions. How do you choose between chocolates or flowers? Whether to stay in or go out? And what to do with that cuddly bear clinging to a heart for the next 364 days.

Do we really need a day set aside to tell that special someone how we feel? A recent survey reveals that more than half of us think not.

Over 4,900 members of the free dating website, Smooch.com, were asked if they would cancel Valentine’s Day, to which a surprising 54% said they would if they could. In contrast, just 46% wanted to preserve the special day.

It should come as no surprise that flowers from the petrol garage and a box of Milk Tray have done little to boost Cupid’s status in the world of women. The survey revealed that women (58%) were more likely than men (51%) to cancel Valentine’s Day. Whether the remaining 49% of men will actually remember what day it falls on this year is yet to be seen.

Contrary to the popular phrase, absence does not make the heart grow fonder, however age does. According to the survey, those aged 61 and over were the most romantic with just 13% willing to cancel Valentine’s Day compared to third of those aged 18 to 24.

Additional information:
Smooch surveys are extremely detailed, incorporating information about its respondents as detailed as facial hair and weight, allowing us to unearth the following strange facts:
·         Those who are married or widowed were the least likely to cancel Valentine’s Day.
·         Respondents with a ‘very high salary’ were the most likely (60%) to cancel Valentine’s Day.
·         Libras are the most romantic star sign with just 19% willing to cancel Valentine’s Day. Whilst 37% of Scorpios would put and end to Cupid’s reign.

Research:
Smooch.com polled 4,920 members over a 24 hour period. Members responses remain anonymous, however, detailed statistics such as age, height, weight, build, attractiveness, hair colour, hair style, facial hair, drinking and smoking habits, education, salary and even star sign are readily available on request (mediasales(at)smooch(dot)com).

# # #

Share article on social media or email:

View article via:

Pdf Print

Contact Author

Martin Bysh
WooWise Ltd
+44 (0)20 7474 2783
Email >
Visit website