CIOs, CTOs and other IT professionals have more fully embraced social media tools and websites to discuss hot topics and industry information.
Farmington Hills, MI (PRWEB) January 03, 2012
What were the hottest buzzwords among the IT Twitterati in 2011? Once again, the Logicalis Top 10 Tech Trends to Watch, the company’s third annual study of the social media conversations of top IT executives, highlights what topics, trends and technologies received the most discussions online. Logicalis, an international provider of integrated information and communications technology (ICT) solutions and services, says that chief information officers (CIOs) and chief technology officers (CTOs) focused a lot of discussion around personnel – including salaries, employee motivation and retention, as well as outsourcing considerations such as domestic versus off shore for task work while using internal resources for higher-level work.
“CIOs, CTOs and other IT professionals have more fully embraced social media tools and websites to discuss hot topics and industry information,” says Lisa Dreher, vice president of business development and marketing for Logicalis. “We launched our own blog this year, HypeorRipe.com, and the comments and votes we’ve received point to increased sharing of information among industry players.”
Top 10 IT Buzzwords Heard around the Social Media Watercooler in 2011
So what was on the minds of IT leaders in 2011 and what will they be talking about into 2012?
1. IT Managed Services – IT leaders are looking at ways to offload some IT operations in order to better focus staff energies on core activities—those that will drive revenue.
2. Cloud – No surprise that cloud computing was a top topic of conversation that will continue well into 2012 as IT leaders decide the best ways to use the cloud in their operations.
3. Social Networking – Once again, social media itself was a topic of conversation among technologists, often the early adopters of new communications tools.
4. SaaS – Software as a Service gained more momentum as applications from large and small software developers were offered à la carte via the web.
5. IT Workplace Issues – This was a hot topic in last year’s survey and was just as important again this past year. IT leaders are focusing on IT Jobs, CIO resumes, CIO salaries, workplace motivation and demotivation as well as the ethical workplace.
6. IT Governance – IT leaders acknowledged that IT governance ensures IT is aligned with business strategies and objectives in what will undoubtedly be a talked-about topic for years to come.
7. Compliance – Similarly, compliance with industry and government regulations and requirements was a topic that hit the top 10.
8. ERP – Streamlining the organization often falls to the IT department making discussion about enterprise resource planning an obvious topic.
9. Outsourcing – IT leaders are embracing many options, including smart outsourcing, for maintaining costs and controls when it comes to the delivery of IT services within their organizations.
10. Virtual desktop – IT has not forgotten the desktop in its many forms, including tablet and mobile device. With the proliferation of mobile devices and bring your own device (BYOD) workplaces, delivering secure access to critical business applications has become a focus.
Learn more about managed services with our complimentary feature article, “Managed Services: Efficiency on Demand”
Is Cloud Computing in your future? Learn more at our Cloud Computing resource micro site.
Logicalis is an international provider of integrated information and communications technology (ICT) solutions and services founded on a superior breadth of knowledge and expertise in communications & collaboration, data center, and cloud computing and managed services.
Logicalis Group employs nearly 2,500 people worldwide, including highly trained service specialists who design, specify, deploy and manage complex ICT infrastructures to meet the needs of over 6,000 corporate and public sector customers. To achieve this, Logicalis maintains strong partnerships with technology leaders such as Cisco, HP, IBM and Microsoft.
The Logicalis Group has annualized revenues of over $1 billion, from operations in the UK, US, Germany, South America and Asia Pacific, and is fast establishing itself as one of the leading IT and Communications solution integrators, specializing in the areas of advanced technologies and services.
The Logicalis Group is a division of Datatec Limited, listed on the Johannesburg and London AIM Stock Exchanges, with revenues of approximately $5 billion.
For more information, visit http://www.us.logicalis.com .
Business and technology working as one
# # #