Good photography is all about controlling light, and the Variable ND allows you to do this with great ease and flexibility. By controlling light, you’re able to control your depth of field and aperture — both being integral parts of the creative process.
Las Vegas, NV (PRWEB) January 09, 2012
The Tiffen Company, a leading manufacturer and distributor of award-winning accessories for the still imaging, video, motion picture and broadcast markets, is showcasing the new Tiffen® Variable ND Filter line at the 2012 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) at booth 31133. Introduced in August 2011, the high-performance Tiffen Variable ND offers both photographers and videographers convenience in price and performance by combining seven ND filters into one high-performance optical filter. “Good photography is all about controlling light, and the Variable ND allows you to do this with great ease and flexibility. By controlling light, you’re able to control your depth of field and aperture — both being integral parts of the creative process,” says Jill Conrad, product manager for Tiffen. “What makes our filter stand out from the rest is the manufacturing. The Tiffen Variable ND is made with high-quality optical glass using Tiffen’s established ColorCore™ technology. Many variable NDs on the market today use plastic or resin for one or sometimes both of the optical elements. Compared to glass, plastic and resin do not provide optimal image quality.” In addition to showcasing new Variable ND Filter size options, Tiffen is offering specially priced Digital Light Control Kits — a collection of high-performance Tiffen Optical Filters that are ideal for DLSR shooters and videographers.
Tiffen Variable ND Filter
Incorporating seven ND filters into one, the Tiffen Variable ND Filter is all about versatility and convenience. Designed for use by photographers and videographers, the all-in-one ND filter means more space in the camera bag and less time changing filters when shooting. Jill adds, “More than a photographic tool for controlling depth of field and exposure, the Tiffen Variable ND is sought after by DSLR shooters as well because it is fast and easy to use. It is small, lightweight, and does not require additional accessories such as a matte box — giving outstanding value with unparalleled performance.”
With the Tiffen Variable ND, photographers can:
- Use slow shutter speeds, with high-speed films or digital cameras, to record movement/image blur in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds or any fast-moving subject.
- Have full control over depth of field. Users can decrease depth of field by using wider apertures, which help separate subjects from their background (subject matter is in focus while the background is blurred).
- Shoot high-speed film (above ISO 400) in bright outdoor situations by reducing the effective ISO.
- Effectively use cine and video cameras (which have fixed shutter speeds) to film subjects such as snow, sand or other bright scenes that could otherwise cause overexposure.
The Tiffen Variable ND filter operates on the same principle as a Circular Polarizer — the user rotates it until the desired effect is reached, and then takes the shot. It allows continuous control over the amount of light coming through the lens in an approximate range of two (ND 0.6) to eight (ND 2.4) stops — while maintaining the image integrity. The Tiffen Variable ND filter product highlights include:
- Provides two to eight stops of light control
- Rotates to whatever density is needed
- Indexed for easy adjustment
- Thin 9mm profile
- Does not require matte box
- Wide outer optic helps reduce vignetting, which is common when using filters with wide-angle lenses
- Saves expense of multiple ND filters
- Manufactured with Tiffen ColorCore™ Technology (the filter material is laminated between two pieces of optical glass that are ground flat to a tolerance of .0001 inch and then mounted in a precision aluminum ring)
- Black aluminum filter ring
- Ships in a padded black nylon pouch with micro fiber cleaning cloth
- 10-year warranty
- Made in the USA
In addition to the 77mm, Tiffen is showcasing the newly released 58mm and 72mm filter sizes at CES. Additional sizes (including 52mm, 62mm, 67mm, and 82mm) will be available in April 2012.
For more detailed information on the Tiffen Variable ND, please visit: http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct.html?tablename=filters&itemnum=77VND
Tiffen Digital Light Control Kits
Also new at CES are the price-optimized Tiffen Digital Light Control Kits, which include a collection of high-performing Tiffen Filters — the Tiffen Circular Polarizer, Tiffen Neutral Density 0.6 and Tiffen Color Grad ND 0.6 — in a high-quality padded nylon filter pouch. Jill adds, “DSLR cameras are very sensitive to light, so we assembled a filter kit that would correct just about any lighting situation they may encounter. With the price-optimized packaging, the Tiffen Digital Light Control Kits are sure to become an essential tool for all DSLR camera owners.”
- Circular Polarizer Filter provides color and contrast enhancement and removes reflective glare from non-metallic surfaces (glass, water). Color saturation in general, especially outdoors, can be improved significantly.
- Neutral Density Filter reduces the amount of light passing through the camera lens without changing the color of the scene. This is very useful in bright light situations to prevent overexposure. Neutral Density can be used to control depth of field and allows slower shutter speeds for image blur.
- Color-Grad ND Filter is perfect for exposure between two areas within an image. Primarily used outdoors, Color-Grad ND is a favorite among landscape photographers for balancing sky to foreground.
For more information on Tiffen Filters, please visit http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=filters#
Book A Private Press Briefing at CES 2012
To set up a press briefing with a member of the Tiffen management team or a private product viewing during CES 2012, please contact Anya Oskolkova at anya(at)zazilmediagroup(dot)com.
Tiffen has been a leading manufacturer of photographic filters, lens accessories, software, and camera accessories for the consumer/professional imaging and the motion picture and broadcast television industries for over 70 years. The company has a rich history of innovative product design, superior optical consistency, and unparalleled quality. Tiffen has been recognized for its product and engineering excellence, earning two Technical Achievement Awards and a Scientific and Engineering Award from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, as well as an Emmy® Award from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. Today, the company offers a wide range of products, which include: Tiffen® filters, Steadicam® camera stabilizing systems, Lowel® light, Listec™ teleprompters, Tiffen Dfx® digital imaging software, Domke® bags, Davis & Sanford® tripods, Zing® camera covers, Stroboframe® flash brackets, Saunders® professional trimmers, and Kodak Wratten® filters. Tiffen continues to enhance its reputation as a leading imaging accessory manufacturer through aggressive growth in the image-making accessory industry.
For more information on Tiffen, please visit: http://www.tiffen.com
Tiffen is a registered trademark of The Tiffen Company. All other trademarks and products mentioned herein belong to their respective owners.
Tiffen North America
Zazil Media Group
Zazil Media Group
(p) +44 (0) 1404 42497
(o) +44 (0) 870 100 1220