Through Belk’s generous pledge to raise $3 million over a three-year period, we will be able to touch lives and fund innovative research, bringing us closer to ending this disease forever” - Margo K. Lucero (Komen For The Cure).
Charlotte, NC (PRWEB) January 16, 2012
Belk, Inc. has announced a $1,068,597 contribution to Susan G. Komen for the Cure® to support breast cancer research grants and life-saving community programs. The donation is the second in a series of three that is part of Belk’s commitment to raise $3 million over a three-year period to benefit Komen for the Cure and support its breast cancer initiatives.
The funds were raised through a company-wide “Pink Is Our Passion” campaign held during October, plus grassroots efforts by individual stores to support local Komen fundraising events. Tim Belk, Belk, Inc. chairman and CEO, announced the second-year donation during a check presentation ceremony at the Belk Bowl game in Charlotte on December 27th in front of more than 58,000 football fans.
A total of $599,950 of the contribution has been designated by Belk’s Breast Cancer Survivors Committee to the Belk EDGE, a Susan G. Komen for the Cure® Grant for Early Detection and General Education funded with the support of Belk. The balance of the funds will be divided between Komen’s national office and Komen Affiliates located within Belk’s market area to support breast cancer education, treatment, research and community programs.
“We want to thank our associates and customers for their generosity in supporting our breast cancer campaign, which has raised more than $2 million over the past two years for Susan G. Komen for the Cure,” said Tim Belk. “We’re proud of our partnership with Komen and look forward to our continued efforts to raise more funds to fight this disease.”
“We are so pleased that Belk and its supporters are making such a huge impact in the fight against breast cancer. Through Belk’s generous pledge to raise $3 million over a three-year period, we will be able to touch lives and fund innovative research, bringing us closer to ending this disease forever,” said Margo K. Lucero, vice president, business development and partnerships at Susan G. Komen for the Cure®.
Highlights of Belk’s “Pink is our Passion” campaign last October included:
- Belk donated one percent of its total store sales (excluding belk.com) Sept. 30 – Oct. 2 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure®.
- All store associates wore “Pink is our Passion” t-shirts on each Saturday during the month. The shirt design incorporated key breast cancer awareness facts.
- Pink Shops in each store featured a wide assortment of pink merchandise from a variety of vendors, with proceeds from the sale of some of the products going to Komen.
- A special edition Belkie Bear sold for $14.99, with $5 from each sale going to Komen.
- Customers could honor or remember a friend or loved one affected by breast cancer with a pink ribbon displayed on the stores’ “Wall of Hope” for a $1 donation to Komen.
- During Belk’s Columbus Day Sale, Oct. 7 – 10, customers received a set of three extra-discount coupons for sale and clearance merchandise purchases for a $1 donation to Komen.
- From Oct. 20 - 24 during Belk’s “text2donate” event, customers could contribute $10 directly to Komen by texting “PINK” to 90999 on their cellphone or smart device.
Belk will conduct another “Pink is our Passion” campaign next October during National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The campaign is part of the company’s overall “belkgives” corporate initiative.
About Belk, Inc.
Charlotte, N.C.-based Belk, Inc. (http://www.belk.com) is the nation’s largest privately owned mainline department store company with 303 Belk stores located in 16 Southern states. The company was founded in 1888 by William Henry Belk in Monroe, N.C., and is in the third generation of Belk family leadership. Its belk.com Web site offers a wide assortment of fashion apparel, shoes and accessories for the entire family along with top name cosmetics, a wedding registry and a large selection of quality merchandise for the home. To connect with Belk via Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, blog, mobile phone text messages or by email, go to: Belk Get Connected.
Modern. Southern. Style.
Belk seeks to satisfy the modern Southern lifestyle like no one else, so that our customers get the fashion they desire and the value they deserve. Our vision is for the modern Southern woman to count on Belk first – for her, for her family, for life.
About Susan G. Komen for the Cure®
Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer. Today, Susan G. Komen for the Cure is an organization which works to end breast cancer in the U.S. and throughout the world through ground-breaking research, community health outreach, advocacy and programs in more than 50 countries with a special focus on low-resource and developing nations. Visit komen.org. Connect with us on Facebook and Twitter.