The Nucleus RM provides a combination of fast processing, storage, and I/O, but in less space than traditional rack-mount servers.
Nashua, NH (PRWEB) January 26, 2012
NextComputing, manufacturer of small form-factor servers and workstations, has announced an expansion to its line of high-density rack-mount computing products with the introduction of Nucleus RM. Based on NextComputing’s small form-factor Nucleus series tower workstations and servers, Nucleus RM brings the same compact server appliance computing to rack-based environments. The Nucleus RM provides a combination of fast processing, storage, and I/O, but in less space than traditional rack-mount servers.
Most rack-mount servers are installed in traditional datacenters or server rooms where high-performance computing is needed to perform specialized tasks. However, in many industries, high-end systems are required on-site where access to a server room is impossible, or used in mobile setups. Military vehicles in particular have a growing need for high-density computing to retrieve and process massive amounts of data such as radar, video, and other sensors for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance (ISR) missions. For live entertainment, small purpose-built computers are required to fit the space constraints of mobile broadcast trucks and trailers. And in telecom environments such as central offices or labs, compact systems with dense on-board storage are needed to capture and analyze huge volumes of traffic at any point on the network.
NextComputing developed the Nucleus RM high-performance, short-depth rack-mount systems to meet the needs of OEMs and integrators in the areas of military intelligence, media and entertainment, test and measurement, oil and gas, and any market that needs powerful computing in limited space.
The Nucleus RM series consists of two small form-factor 3U products, each only 20 inches deep, with either front-facing or rear-facing I/O.
Both versions feature:
● Dual Quad-Core or Six-Core Intel® Xeon® processors, or single Intel Core™ i7 processor
● Up to 288GB DDR3 memory
● Up to (18) removable or (26) fixed 2.5” hard drives, either SATA, SAS, or SSD
● Up to (7) full-length, full-height PCI Express or PCI slots for multiple high-performance GPUs, RAID controllers, high-speed network adapters, or other I/O
● Wide operating system support including Windows 7, Windows 2008 Server, and Linux
● Virtualization support including VMware vSphere and ESXi, Microsoft Hyper-V, and Citrix XenServer
● 1300W power supply module with either 1+1 or 2+1 redundancy
● Optional 48V DC input 1300W redundant power supply
Each model features:
- Nucleus RM Front I/O features forward facing motherboard I/O ports, optional dual (2) 2.5” removable hard drives, DVD/RW drive, and up to seven (7) front-access PCI slots. This design is ideal for situations that require connectivity on the front panel such as military vehicle systems or telco servers. AC or DC input 2+1 redundant power is still available from the rear of the chassis.
- The Nucleus RM Rear I/O offers more traditional back-panel I/O access for up to (7) PCI slots and either AC or DC input 2+1 redundant power. Optional DVD/RW drive and dual (2) 2.5” removable hard drives are available from the front of the chassis.
NextComputing’s US-based manufacturing and custom engineering services are set up to service small to medium-sized OEMs and integrators looking to create cutting-edge solutions based on truly differentiated hardware platforms. As such, the Nucleus RM can custom configured to any specification and then branded with custom logos, modified front panel designs or paint colors to give each system a unique look and feel for a specific turnkey solution. This adds a competitive edge that cannot be achieved by selling commodity based systems.
The Nucleus RM is available now from NextComputing and its authorized resellers. Please call +1-603-886-3874 or email Sales(at)NextComputing(dot)com for more information.
Based in Nashua, NH, NextComputing is a unique technology company specializing in extreme-performance portables and small form-factor workstations. Its open-standards, modular systems are used throughout many industries for a range of professional applications including real-time 3D visualization, high-throughput data streaming, and high-end application demonstration. Visit http://www.nextcomputing.com for more information.
Copyright legal disclaimer: All trademarks contained herein are property of their respective copyright holders.