When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. - Leonardo da Vinci
Waco, TX (PRWEB) January 31, 2012
TechCareers: Aviation Pilots is a taste of what it looks like to be trained and work as an aircraft pilot. The need for commercial aircraft pilots always is growing. According to the Joseph T. Nall Report published annually by the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA), the number of aircraft in use roughly doubles every 10 years.
Aviation Pilots,TSTC Publishing’s newest edition to its TechCareers series, offers employment overviews, skill requirements, education and training information and everything else needed for a career in the aviation business. Feb. 1 is the official release of the paperback book, with an ebook version expected shortly.
Written by Jodi Wheatley, the book is divided into three sections: Aviation Pilot Careers, Aviation Pilot Education and Certification and Additional Aviation Pilot Information and Resources. Aviation Pilots also gives an employment outlook, salary ranges, job titles, career paths and job duties, and features profiles of pilots, employers and instructors in the field.
The book offers a list of job titles and corresponding duties pilots can find in their industry:
- Private pilot – Certification allows pilots to fly passengers for personal transportation and business.
- Certified flight instructor – The flight instructor rating is specific as to the type of instruction authorized, such as multi-engine instructor, single-engine airplane certified flight instructor certified flight instructor instrument (CFII) and helicopter.
- Commercial pilot – To obtain commercial pilot certification, the individual must be 18 with a private pilot certificate and a minimum of 250 flight hours completed, along with various other sub-requirements.
- Airplane transport pilot – One must be 23 before earning an airplane transport pilot’s (ATP) certificate. The individual must have a private and a commercial certificate, instrument rating and at least 1,500 hours of flight experience and pass the ATP written exam and a flight test.
- Multi-engine pilot – A commercial pilot must acquire a rating for a multi-engine airplane.
From employment outlook to job duties to the necessary skill sets a pilot is expected to possess, TechCareers: Aviation Pilots provides vital information any prospective pilot student needs to know.
The TechCareers Series is a joint effort of TSTC Publishing, the publishing arm of the Texas State Technical College System, and TSTC Forecasting. The series includes: Biomedical Equipment, Automotive Technicians, Aviation Pilots, Avionics Technician, Wind Energy, Computer Gaming Programmers & Artists and Welding Technology. Other forthcoming books include Aviation Maintenance, Graphic Design and Radiation Protection Technology.
Born and raised in Texas, Jodi Wheatley earned her bachelor’s degree in TV & Film Production from the Journalism, Broadcasting & Film school at Trinity University in San Antonio. After many years working in local television – writing, producing and directing commercials, public service announcements, station promotions and marketing videos – she expanded into technical/communications writing for Texas State Technical College in Abilene. Writing and editing online course content (including Fiber Optics, Hydraulics, Cutting & Welding, Electricity, Applied Math and other subjects) for wind energy technology training classes was great fun, as it allowed her to do the two things she said she enjoys most: learning and helping others learn.
Established in 2004 as the publishing arm of the Texas State Technical College System, TSTC Publishing offers faculty throughout the country the opportunity to initiate and participate in a variety of book development projects. TSTC Publishing projects now include such ancillary products as instructor guides, student workbooks, CD-ROMs, DVDs, ebooks and companion websites. In addition to offering editorial help and guidance to faculty, assistance also is available in the areas of materials production, distribution and sales.