The IQS213 enables applications previously not suited for capacitive sensing, including waterproof flashlights, hand mixers, toothbrushes and shavers.
Austin, TX (PRWEB) October 19, 2012
Azoteq, the world leader in capacitive proximity solutions, today announced the release to market of the IQS213. The IQS213 is Azoteq’s latest addition to the ProxSense® family of capacitive proximity and touch controllers. The IQS213 offers capacitive sensing in applications previously not suited for capacitive sensing, including harsh and wet environments.
The IQS213 SwipeSwitch™ is a fully integrated two- or three-channel capacitive SwipeSwitch™ sensor with market-leading sensitivity and automatic tuning of the sense electrodes. The IQS213 provides a minimalist implementation requiring few external components, with programming options and an I2C-compatible interface that allow configuration for specialized applications.
“The IQS213 enables applications previously not suited for capacitive sensing, including waterproof flashlights, hand mixers, toothbrushes and shavers. With no more holes for the mechanical switch, cost is saved on the hermetically sealed housing, whilst at the same time new degrees of freedom are opened up on the man-machine interface,” said Jean Viljoen, Azoteq’s marketing manager for Europe and Asia.
The IQS213 is further suitable for applications such as unlocking a mobile phone, where the sensor can run in a sub-2 microampere mode with the touch screen completely turned off. The patented swipe algorithm will prevent any accidental activation, making it an indispensible companion to the mobile phone touch screen.
- 2- or 3-channel (mutual or self-capacitance) input device
- Swipe function or differentiated touch and distributed proximity electrode
- Variable user interface with adjustable swipe function configuration
- Automatic tuning of the sense electrodes to the environment
- Auto-off and advanced auto-off warning function
- Supply voltage: 1.8V to 3.6V
- Internal voltage regulator and reference capacitor
- Advanced on-chip digital signal processing
- OTP (one time programmable) options available
- I2C-compatible interface
- Low power modes (sub-2 microampere)
- Variable proximity and touch thresholds
- Small outline MSOP-10 package
- Sanitary ware, toys, office equipment
- Flashlights, headlamps, keychain lights
- Splash-proof / waterproof devices
- Swipe-to-unlock / Wake-from-standby applications
- Replacement for electromechanical switches
Pricing and availability
The IQS213 will be priced at $0.27 in 1K quantities. Samples, production quantities and evaluation kits are available now from Mouser (http://www.mouser.com/azoteq). More information on the IQS213 can be obtained at http://www.azoteq.com.
About Azoteq (Pty) Ltd
Azoteq (http://www.azoteq.com) is the world leader in capacitive proximity solutions for switches, sliders, scroll wheels and touch screens in consumer and industrial applications. Azoteq has design and manufacturing centers in South Africa and China. Azoteq has sales offices and distributors in South Africa, Asia, Europe and the USA.
IQ Switch®, ProxSense®, LightSenseTM, AirButton®, DYCALTM and SwipeSwitch™ are trademarks of Azoteq (Pty) Ltd.