London/NYC (PRWEB) October 22, 2012
Did you know that Bill Withers, Marilyn Monroe and Sir Winston Churchill all suffered with stuttering? Hay House USA author and former fellow stutterer Derek Mills speaks out in support of International Stuttering Awareness Day 2012 (10/22/12)
Derek Mills is a recently published author with Hay House in The USA and The UK who suffered from extreme stuttering as a direct physical and emotional response to the sudden death of his mother when he was only 13.
Today, Derek, who is also known more affectionately as “The Standards Guy®”, speaks to audiences the world over about the life learnings that prompted him to write his new book, ‘The 10-Second Philosophy: A Practical Guide to Releasing Your Inner Genius’. According to Derek:-
“People who meet me are normally shocked to learning that I stuttered for 12 years or so. Films like ‘The King’s Speech’ have certainly brought stuttering more into the public arena but still slightly glorify a condition that literally render you speechless – particularly when others jibe and mock, making you more self-conscious.
“Whilst I am not a medical expert, I know first-hand and from fellow stutterers alike, that this condition can be prompted by a life-changing trauma - in my case, the sudden death of my mother when I was 13. It is so important for parents to educate their children about stuttering in the classroom and why kids should encourage their stammering classmates rather than taunt – which may be easier said than done, I appreciate ”, he added.
To celebrate International Stuttering Awareness Day 2012, brush up on your Stuttering knowledge with a list of ‘10 Things You Didn’t Know About Stuttering’…
1. British-born Hollywood actress, Emily Blunt, is a former stutterer whose teacher encouraged her to act to assist with her condition
2. Stammering and stuttering are two terms used interchangeably to refer to the same speech disorder. Both refer to a problem in which an individual has difficulty forming words in their entirety*
3. Another term for stammering and stuttering is speech disfluency*
4. Approximately one per cent of both The UK and US populations are affected by stuttering*
5. Men and four times more likely to be affected than their female counterparts**
6. People generally do not stutter when they sing, whisper, speak in chorus, or when they do not hear their own voice**
7. The year 2009 marked the launch of a stuttering awareness ribbon. Its color is sea green. Blue has conventionally been associated with calm, while green symbolizes freedom and justice***
8. When stuttering has abrupt onset secondary to a psychological trauma, it is described as psychogenic stuttering****
9. British actor Michael Palin agreed to The Michael Palin Centre (UK) being named after him following his role in ‘A Fish Called Wanda’, in which he portrayed a character called Ken who stammered. He based the role on his own father who suffered from stammering all his life*****
10. Stammering usually begins between two and five years old at a time when a child's language skills are developing*****
The 10-Second Philosophy, published by Hay House USA, is available to buy at Barnes & Noble/http://www.bn.com and Amazon.com - throughout The USA and Canada at RRP $15.95.
‘The 10-Second Philosophy’ is also available to buy as an e-book.
Follow Derek on Twitter @derekmills1 and ‘Like’ his Facebook page ‘DerekMills.The10SecondPhilosophy’.
For media information regarding Derek Mills and the launch of his new book, photography, book copies/extracts and interviews, please contact:-
+44 (0) 7912 644993 miranda(at)mirandaleslau(dot)com
**http://helpstopstammering.blogspot.com.es/p/stuttering-facts-statistics.html and http://www.stammering-stuttering.co.uk/Information_About_Stuttering.html
Editor’s Notes – About Derek Mills
Father of four, Derek Mills, living in The West Midlands (UK), has learnt from personal experience that change can happen in seconds. Back in 2003, Derek was at rock bottom, working long hours, struggling financially, neglecting his health and hardly spending any time with his family.
Late one night, the office security guard asked him a seemingly insignificant question: “What time did you get in this morning?”. The guard walked away before Derek had answered, but in the following 10 seconds Derek felt a surge of feelings rise up inside him. He looked honestly and deeply within himself and had a breakthrough moment.
In that moment of clarity Derek realised that his current life was intolerable. Having always thought the answers were outside of him, in that moment he tapped into something much more powerful, his inner voice, or his TrueSelf. He knew exactly what he had to do – to stop setting goals and instead set new high daily standards for his life, which were congruent with who he really was on the inside. The very next day he started living his life based on the standards he set for himself and his life began to improve. By 2007 Derek was a millionaire, working a four day week, spending time with his wife and children and living the life he had dreamed of.
Today, Derek is sharing his vision and learnings with Brits and Americans through the publication of his first book, The 10-Second Philosophy and to audiences world-wise as a motivational speaker.
About Hay House
Hay House is the international leader in self-help and motivational publishing, featuring books, audios, and sidelines by more than 250 authors. Smiley Books, Visions, and Insights are imprints of Hay House, Inc, which is also the exclusive distributor for Amber Allen Press and Agape Media, Inc. Hay House has a self–publishing division, Balboa Press, as well as radio, film and television divisions. Corporate offices are in California and New York with international divisions in Australia, the United Kingdom, India, and South Africa. Please visit us as http://www.hayhouse.com.
“Derek Mills has found out how to create lasting success. He walks his talk - it's powerful and inspiring and a gift that he's sharing with us all”
John Gray, Author of ‘Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus’