Albany, NY (PRWEB) October 26, 2012
With a major storm brewing, CDPHP® wants to remind everyone that now is the time to go over their preparedness checklist.
At CDPHP, our primary focus during any emergency situation is to ensure that our members have access to needed care. Members in need of assistance should call the phone numbers listed on their member ID card. For urgent matters after business hours, members will be directed to CDPHP’s after-hours answering service. The service will contact on-call personnel. If needed, CDPHP will have on-call staff available around the clock.
For those with special health needs, it is especially important to have a plan in place before an emergency. Those with chronic illnesses need to take extra steps to ensure their safety.
Steps to take to protect your health in an emergency:
- Keep your insurance ID card with you.
- Keep a list of all of your medications, including the medicine’s strength and dosage information. If possible, have extra medication on hand.
- Keep a kit of medical supplies that are easily accessible. Don’t forget things like hearing aids and extra batteries, contact lenses and solution, and glasses.
- Keep a list of your doctors’ names and phone numbers.
- Build a support network that you can keep in touch with, especially if you are separated. This is important for the elderly, people with special needs and those with special health circumstances, such as pregnancy and chronic illnesses.
- Have a contingency plan – enlist a neighbor or another trusted adult to check on family members with special health needs in case you can’t get to them.
- Stay away from floodwaters as they can often be contaminated.
CDPHP also works in partnership with the American Red Cross of Northeastern New York to raise the awareness of vital disaster readiness techniques. Be Red Cross Ready provides detailed steps for preparedness.
Upstate New Yorkers are no stranger to storms. Being prepared now is the best action to take. Even if the storm passes us by, winter is just around the corner.
Established in 1984, CDPHP is a physician-founded, member-focused and community-based not-for-profit health plan that offers high-quality affordable health insurance plans to members in 24 counties throughout New York. CDPHP is also on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.