(PRWEB UK) 31 October 2012
Not-for-profit community groups in Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire were invited to prepare and submit a short video identifying the aim and purpose of the group and what project they would use a stake of the £10K Opus Energy Gift prize for.
Opus Energy can reveal the winning video entries are:
- Oxford Food Bank, which picks up fresh food that would otherwise get thrown away and delivers it to those in need - awarded £3,000 to help them move to new premises
- Special Effect, which helps people with disabilities to enjoy computer games for inclusion and a better quality of life - awarded £2,000 to fund more Fun Day visits to its specialist games room
- BG Records and Young Women’s Music Project – awarded £2,000 to put on a music event for young people whilst offering them workshops, recording sessions, support and mentoring
- Liberty Drum Corps, a UK award-winning youth marching band based - awarded £600 to help fund their competitions in Europe
- The Porch Steppin’ Stone, which provides support for homeless and vulnerably housed people wanting to move forward with their lives – awarded £600 towards a new social enterprise project
- Messy Jam, a non-profit dance school - awarded £600 to help pursue initiatives in performances and competitions
- Campion School Athletics Club - awarded £300 towards the cost of a new long jump run
- Northamptonshire Breastfeeding Alliance, which aims to normalise, promote, support and protect breastfeeding - awarded £300 towards a breast pump loan hire scheme
- 2nd Oxford Scout Group, Oxfordshire’s oldest scouting group - awarded £300 towards the cost of fixing the guttering of their scout hut
- Northampton Festival of Performing Arts, which encourages participation in performing arts - awarded £300 to fund ten sessions at the next festival.
Charlie Crossley Cooke, Managing Director, Opus Energy, comments: “We are tremendously pleased to provide funding for such good causes in the local community. Opus Energy is firmly committed to investing in Northamptonshire and Oxfordshire - alongside our charity work we intend to employ another 100 people across our Northampton and Oxford offices over the next year.”
Councillor David Mackintosh, Leader of Northampton Borough Council and member of the Opus Energy Gift judging panel, comments: “Across our town we have a strong network of charitable and community groups working hard to support people and communities. The Opus Energy Gift is a fantastic example of a Northampton based company giving back to and investing in our communities. And, with every entry deserving recognition for what they do it was difficult to pick winners.”
Robin Aitken, Operational Director at the Oxford Food Bank, winners of the £3,000 gift, commented: “The Oxford Food Bank relies on donations from local organisations and individuals to keep us going. We’re very grateful to Opus Energy for organising this competition which has resulted in us getting this generous donation of £3,000. Every £1 given to us results in at least £25 worth of direct benefit in food to the charities we serve. On their behalf, thank you.”
To view all the video entries, please visit the Opus Energy Gift website: http://www.opusenergygift.com.
For press enquiries, please contact:
T. 0845 218 2160
E. alexandra.dann (at) opusenergy (dot) com
About Opus Energy
Opus Energy is the UK’s leading business energy supplier. The company employs 450 people over its Northampton and Oxford-based offices.
Opus Energy supply more than 140,000 business locations across the UK with power. Customers include: CfBT Education Trust, Stagecoach, Pizza Hut and Virgin Media.
The management team has a 50 per cent stake in the business, while International Power Plc holds 30 per cent and Telecom Plus Plc has 20 per cent.
Opus Energy works in partnership with charities and community organisations. Activities in 2012 include a pledge to raise £20,000 for The Cystic Fibrosis Trust, and award a £10,000 bursary – Opus Energy Gift - to local community groups.
For further information about Opus Energy, please visit http://www.opusenergy.com.