Denver, CO (PRWEB) October 03, 2012
SOL...Store of Lingerie announced today its October schedule of events honoring Breast Cancer Awareness Month and its customers affected by the disease. The cornerstone of the month is SOL’s 8th annual Bra Drive benefiting The Gathering Place. Although SOL collects gently used bras year-round, “We do a big push for bras every October. It’s the perfect opportunity for the women of Denver to benefit from a little fall cleaning of their lingerie drawers while making a difference for women in need within the community,” says SOL co-owner Cindy Johnson.
Johnson learned of the dire need for bras at The Gathering Place when she dropped off a box of over 200 bras in 2004. “I thought it would last them a year and was told they would all be gone in one day. I knew we could do more...and the Bra Drive was born,” she says.
SOL designed a bra distribution center complete with fitting rooms at The Gathering Place facility. Once a month SOL’s staff donates their time to provide bra fittings for the women of the shelter and distribute free bras. To date, more than 3,500 bras have been distributed. Earlier this year, SOL employee Krista Ashford applied for the Support 1000 grant and received over 55 hard-to-find sizes to add to The Gathering Place bra selection.
As one of the country’s leading lingerie stores specializing in bra fitting, SOL also caters to women affected by breast cancer. Carrying a complete range of bra sizes from a 32A to a 46I and employing a full time seamstress on staff, SOL offers complimentary alterations if any bras need to be modified for a perfect fit. SOL’s expert staff has unparalleled experience fitting women who have had surgery due to augmentation, reduction, reconstruction, lumpectomy or mastectomy.
Longtime SOL customer Mary B. had a double mastectomy in January 2009 and reconstruction in September 2009. “After my surgery, it was wonderful to go back to a store I loved and to be able to once again find beautiful bras that made me feel whole, healthy and feminine. The sensitive staff always made me feel cared about and pleased with my progress," she says.
October 1st – 31st
The Gathering Place Bra Drive
- Now is the perfect time to clean out your bra drawer! Drop off any gently worn bras at SOL during the month of October be entered to win two new sets for your bra wardrobe valued at $400.
- All bras will be donated to The Gathering Place, Denver’s only daytime drop-in center for homeless and impoverished women, children, and transgender individuals. http://www.tgpdenver.org
Breast Cancer Survivors Receive 20% Off
- Women who have or have had breast cancer receive 20% off their purchases at SOL during the month of October. http://www.SOLlingerie.com
Sunday, October 7th
Team SOL at Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure
- Run (or walk!) with TEAM SOL and help support the promise to save lives and end breast cancer forever.
- Each member of TEAM SOL who raises $500 or more will receive a FREE pink Daisy bra and panty set plus 20% off all purchases made at SOL during the month of October.
- Race for the Cure registration starts at $25; deadline October 2. http://www.komendenver.org
Saturday, October 20th 10 am – 4 pm Prosthetic Illusions Seminar
- Join SOL in-store for an informative seminar about the physical facts and emotional process of breast prostheses. The Denver-based industry leader specializes in women who are not candidates for reconstruction, choose not to have reconstruction or those who are in between surgeries. http://www.prostheticillusions.com
About The Gathering Place:
The Gathering Place is Denver’s only daytime drop-in center for women and their children who are experiencing homelessness and poverty creating a community of safety and hope where positive relationships, choice, and essential resources transform lives. In 2011, The Gathering Place provided services including delivery of more than 65,000 nutritious meals, tutoring to 79 GED students, distribution of 20,000 diapers and welcoming close to 70,000 visits by women and children. http://www.tgpdenver.org
About SOL...Store of Lingerie: Founded in 1997 by two sisters, Cindy Johnson and Jeanie Peterson, and located in Denver’s prestigious Cherry Creek North shopping district, SOL is one of the cornerstones of the area’s independently owned boutiques and offers an exquisite collection of lingerie including bras and panties, pajamas, loungewear and robes. Over the past 15 years, SOL has grown into one of the country’s leading lingerie stores specializing in bra fitting and fine European intimate apparel. Johnson is one of the nation’s top bra fitters with over 20 years of experience and has been featured on the TODAY show several times. She extensively trains SOL’s staff of expert fitters – all whom offer a superior level of customer service while making bra-shopping fun. SOL designers include Marie Jo, Prima Donna, Hanky Panky, Eberjey, and Natori as well as other distinctive pieces designed exclusively for SOL. Open Monday through Saturday, 10 am to 6 pm. http://www.SOLlingerie.com