What’s needed is a tool that allows for multiple users to see and share information in real time, and a way to track what’s involved for each requirement from user need to validating the finished product.
San Antonio, TX (PRWEB) October 05, 2012
Enfocus Solutions Inc. this week added to its content on SlideShare with a new presentation depicting why requirements management solutions – more than word processing, data management, and file sharing tools – are critical to successful requirements management and improved business analysis.
“Why Word, Excel, and SharePoint are the Wrong Tools for Requirements Management” is the 13th of Enfocus Solutions Inc.’s targeted presentations available on SlideShare, the online forum at http://www.slideshare.com that is touted as the world's largest community for sharing presentations. The site has 60 million monthly visitors and 130 million page views.
The new presentation walks viewers through the many reasons why traditional business software tools are insufficient for collecting and managing requirements. These reasons include:
- Requirements are more data intensive than document intensive. Information for business analysis must be fluid and easily accessed and parsed.
- Requirements need to be managed as a backlog to support agile and complex projects. There are typically multiple iterations and several teams involved in each project.
- Requirements are often represented and best communicated with more than just text. Related business rules; visualizations including process models, data flow diagrams, and wireframes; and related documents including videos and screenshots, are often required to convey requirements’ full significance.
- Requirements need to be managed individually and collectively with prioritization and bundling throughout the development lifecycle.
- Review and validation of requirements is a continuous process, and not a single event as it appears in a word-processing document.
- Each type of requirement needs different types of data; therefore, the ability to create and draw from patterns is essential.
- Requirements need to be traced forward and backward from the source where they are created to their deployment in solutions.
- Multiple people need to work on requirements at the same time, and it’s important to track who made changes and when.
The cost of not considering these factors and not adequately capturing and managing requirements can add up in time, resources, and money. According to Enfocus Requirements Solutions Inc. CEO John Parker, lack of user input and incomplete or changing requirements – which Word, Excel, and SharePoint cannot account for – are the main reasons for project failures and a symptom of poor business analysis.
“These tools simply are not meant and were never designed to capture the actions inherent in complex, multi-player involvement, and quickly changing environment of requirements management,” said Parker. “What’s needed is a tool that allows for multiple users to see and share information in real time, and a way to track what’s involved for each requirement from user need to validating the finished product.”
Enfocus Solutions Inc. is the maker of such a tool. Enfocus Requirements Suite™ is a hosted solution consisting of software and content to help organizations deliver successful projects through better requirements management and business analysis. With it, users, stakeholders, business analysts, and IT resources can work together to define, prioritize, and manage requirements addressing strategy, people, processes, and technology.
In addition to SlideShare, Enfocus Solutions Inc., regularly shares its expertise on its blog
(http://blog.enfocussolutions.com). Other presentations available on SlideShare include “Supply Chain Management – Overview for Business Analysts” and “Business Analysts on Agile Projects.” Also featured are slides on business objectives, stakeholder analysis, business process analysis, business rules, and organizational change.
Enfocus Solutions Inc.’s latest SlideShare presentation is available without charge at http://www.SlideShare.com. More information about Enfocus Requirements Suite™, along with a product demo and access to a 14-day free trial are available at http://www.EnfocusSolutions.com.
About Enfocus Solutions Inc.
Enfocus Solutions Inc. helps businesses spur innovation, save time, and cut costs by capturing, managing, and leveraging the requirements of their people, processes, and technology. Its flagship product, Enfocus Requirements Suite™, a Web-based tool, automates business analyses and requirements management best practices to enable successful enterprise IT project delivery. The tool is the only application available that permits and encourages stakeholders to directly contribute and collaborate with IT project teams. Enfocus Solutions Inc. is a privately held company headquartered in San Antonio, Texas.